Drip tray question

Started by pwven, May 15, 2017, 09:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwven

I have read somewhere not to put a foil drip tray under the food you are smoking as this can damage the smoker. Why is this? as I see on some photos that drip trays are used sometimes.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor
Second element 2 x 500 Watt

watchdog56

I use a foil pan filled with water and apple juice sometimes. I would say just make sure it does not touch the sides so the juice runs down and could catch on fire.

Grouperman941

What you don't want to do is use foil on the racks or V-tray. This can inhibit air flow, causing hot spots, and pool fat.

A properly sized pan to catch drippings should not be a problem.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

cherrybergher

I place a foil tray on a rack (not the v-tray),  to this point i've only used water but frozen apple juice concentrate seems like a good idea
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

tskeeter

The reason for the foil warning is to prevent people from blocking the circulation of heat and smoke in the smoker.   As long as you allow for adequate circulation, you should be OK.

pwven

Thanks for all the feedback, appreciated. What I read between the lines is to keep the foil tray as small as possible and put water in it or what sounds nice is the apple juice.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

cherrybergher

Quote from: pwven on May 16, 2017, 06:34:54 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, appreciated. What I read between the lines is to keep the foil tray as small as possible and put water in it or what sounds nice is the apple juice.
Yes, just make sure it's large enough coverage to catch the drips
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

pwven

Quote from: cherrybergher on May 16, 2017, 10:39:10 AM
Quote from: pwven on May 16, 2017, 06:34:54 AM
Yes, just make sure it's large enough coverage to catch the drips
Thanks cherrybergher.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor