New to Smoking

Started by hkyplayer20, May 16, 2017, 05:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hkyplayer20

Hi All, wanted to introduce myself, just purchased the 4 rack digital smoker, and finishing up my seasoning. Looking forward to this form and all the advice people have!

Johnny

Gafala

Welcome from Wash. State
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

pwven

Welcome to the forum, you will enjoy it here. Ask questions and someone will give you good advice.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor
Second element 2 x 500 Watt

tskeeter

Let me add my welcome.

It's worth your time to read some of the old posts to this forum.  There is a tremendous amount of information in them that will help you learn to use your smoker effectively and join the ranks of Smokehouse Heros.

First tips.  The Bradley doesn't have a massive heating system, but there are some techniques that help with heat recovery.  Preheat your smoker.  Tuck a foil wrapped brick under the puck burner.  This acts as a heat sink that speeds heat recovery after you open the door or when you put chilly meat in the smoker.  Use boiling water, or as close as you can get, in your puck bowl.  This means that all of the available heat goes into what you are smoking, not into heating the water in your puck bowl.  Leave your puck burner running after the smoking portion of your cook is done.  This increases your heating capacity by 25%.

Although this seems a little counter intuitive, keep your cabinet vent open.  At least 1/4 of the way, usually more.  For high moisture items, such as poultry and fish, the minimum is about half open.  This allows the moisture released from the meat to escape from the cabinet.  (Several folks have removed the vent damper from their smokers.  Mine has been damperless since I forgot it closed five years ago and messed up a batch of sausage.)

cherrybergher

Quote from: tskeeter on May 17, 2017, 08:56:57 AM
Let me add my welcome.

It's worth your time to read some of the old posts to this forum.  There is a tremendous amount of information in them that will help you learn to use your smoker effectively and join the ranks of Smokehouse Heros.

First tips.  The Bradley doesn't have a massive heating system, but there are some techniques that help with heat recovery.  Preheat your smoker.  Tuck a foil wrapped brick under the puck burner.  This acts as a heat sink that speeds heat recovery after you open the door or when you put chilly meat in the smoker.  Use boiling water, or as close as you can get, in your puck bowl.  This means that all of the available heat goes into what you are smoking, not into heating the water in your puck bowl.  Leave your puck burner running after the smoking portion of your cook is done.  This increases your heating capacity by 25%.

Although this seems a little counter intuitive, keep your cabinet vent open.  At least 1/4 of the way, usually more.  For high moisture items, such as poultry and fish, the minimum is about half open.  This allows the moisture released from the meat to escape from the cabinet.  (Several folks have removed the vent damper from their smokers.  Mine has been damperless since I forgot it closed five years ago and messed up a batch of sausage.)

Well said
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

Smoker John

Indeed, welcome to the forum
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712