Bradley Digital Temperature Indication

Started by Jack D, May 21, 2017, 01:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack D

I am smoking up the season's first catch of salmon and decided this time I would insert a digital temperature probe into one of the salmon pieces in the second rack down from the front.  After watching and adjusting over the past 3 hours it seems that the oven temp the Bradley is reporting is far off what I am reading on my probe.  I think my probe is reasonably accurate as it reads about 5 deg F lower than what I'm measuring the exhaust smoke to be (about 2" into the smoker from the top vent). 
With the oven temp set at max (320F) the oven temp is reading 266, while my digital has peaked at 135F & the exhaust at 140F.  I was thinking that the fish needed to get up to an internal temp of 145 to ensure safety but I don't see this being possible.  I'm not overly worried as the salmon have brined over night (Kummock's recipe) so I'm guessing this will assist safety-wise.
In the past (Bradley purchased last year) I have smoked per the indicated oven temperature so salmon temps would have been much lower than anticipated - and it tasted good!
Any comments would be appreciated.

Gafala

Bradley temperature controls are known to be off, that is why most of us use Auber controls much more reliable give +- one degree of control. How much meat you put in and how cold it was when you put it in can make some temp changes or how many times you open the door to check things.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Jack D

Recognizing that the Bradley temperature indication is off, I still don't understand why I can't get the smoker up to what seems to be typical smoking temperatures.

Referencing the Kummock recipe that many follow, the final stages of smoking are stated to be 140F and 175F.  Unless the temperatures refer to the Bradley indicated temperature, I can just barely reach the 140F with oven on the highest temperature setting (reasonably decent outdoor temp), with absolutely no chance of getting anywhere close to 175.  This is leaving door closed and observing temp with remote probe.

Grouperman941

The temp probe should be just below the meat.

Air above has been cooled by the load.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

KyNola

Is it possible that your main heating element was not functioning and the only heat source was from your puck burner?