Smoking Techniques > Cold Smoking

cold smoking jerky?

(1/3) > >>

namron2:
Hi All

Just bought a Bradley cold smoke attachment and thought I would try some pork jerky"

I cured pork strips for 24 hours in fridge and then patted them dry.
I then put them into the cold smoke for about 6hours and, when I took them out I found they were still soft and moist?

I then disconnected the cold smoke thingy and turned the smoker to heat (200 Degrees) and left them in there for 2 hours?
After that I found they were very slowly drying....

Did not want to wait any more so I finished drying in my air oven for 1 hour///////

After that they we're done and tasted good.

My question is did I do this right?  I have some beef strips just cured and waiting to be smoked.....should I dehydrate them fist and THEN smoke them with cold smoke or what??

As you can tell I am new tho this cold smoking thing but any help would be appreciated>

Thanks

Johnny:
Hi Namron2,
I dont have any experience with cold smoking jerky but I believe the texture of cold smoked vs hot smoked is a tender/soft jerky. I have read that this procedure is not recommended with pork and poltry, so I think you did the right thing with cooking it to bring the internal temp up.

Johnny:
Also I believe NePaSmoKer has experience with this so you may want to PM him and ask his advice.

namron2:
thanks Johnny

Johnny:
No problem, keep us posted on your results. I'm curious to find out how things turn out! Especially when you cold smoke your jerky from beef, I bet it will be great .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version