cold smoking jerky?

Started by namron2, May 24, 2017, 02:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

namron2

Hi All

Just bought a Bradley cold smoke attachment and thought I would try some pork jerky"

I cured pork strips for 24 hours in fridge and then patted them dry.
I then put them into the cold smoke for about 6hours and, when I took them out I found they were still soft and moist?

I then disconnected the cold smoke thingy and turned the smoker to heat (200 Degrees) and left them in there for 2 hours?
After that I found they were very slowly drying....

Did not want to wait any more so I finished drying in my air oven for 1 hour///////

After that they we're done and tasted good.

My question is did I do this right?  I have some beef strips just cured and waiting to be smoked.....should I dehydrate them fist and THEN smoke them with cold smoke or what??

As you can tell I am new tho this cold smoking thing but any help would be appreciated>

Thanks

Johnny

Hi Namron2,
I dont have any experience with cold smoking jerky but I believe the texture of cold smoked vs hot smoked is a tender/soft jerky. I have read that this procedure is not recommended with pork and poltry, so I think you did the right thing with cooking it to bring the internal temp up.

Johnny

Also I believe NePaSmoKer has experience with this so you may want to PM him and ask his advice.

namron2

Johnny

No problem, keep us posted on your results. I'm curious to find out how things turn out! Especially when you cold smoke your jerky from beef, I bet it will be great .

namron2

Will do for sure

Thanks Johnny

watchdog56

Also I believe NePaSmoKer has experience with this so you may want to PM him and ask his advice.

I wish he would come back here. I always appreciated his view on how to make things. Especially sausage, thought he made the best looking sausage around. His expertise is missed by many I am sure.

Roget

I'm no expert, but I've  smoked a lot of jerky.
Some may correct me, but I believe you should smoke the jerky at a medium temp, (155F maybe) then continue to dry at the same medium temp.
At 200F you are almost cooking it, which you really don't want to do.
I always smoke mine for a couple of hours @ 155F then move it to the dehydrator until it has the right texture.
Someone with experience cold smoking jerky may come along and say I'm full of it. (& my wife will agree with them) ;D ;D
YCDBSOYA

namron2

Ok Job done and here's the results:

1) Cured  3lb beef strips in high Mountain cure  1 1/2 tsb and a little 1 tsp of High Mountain  flavouring  for 24 hrs
+ 1/2 cup water

2) Dehydrated for 12 hours

3) Light coating of honey (which I heated in microwave for 30 secs)

4) Smoked for 2 hours in cold smoke

Result.......fantastic

Cheers Norm

cherrybergher

Quote from: namron2 on May 25, 2017, 01:07:39 PM
Ok Job done and here's the results:

1) Cured  3lb beef strips in high Mountain cure  1 1/2 tsb and a little 1 tsp of High Mountain  flavouring  for 24 hrs
+ 1/2 cup water

2) Dehydrated for 12 hours

3) Light coating of honey (which I heated in microwave for 30 secs)

4) Smoked for 2 hours in cold smoke

Result.......fantastic

Cheers Norm

That sounds fantastic, I may give that a try
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

namron2

Yes you should. It turned out slightly spicy and with a sweet aftertaste>

Cheers

Norm

Johnny

Norm, question..
Your original post you mentioned the pork was moist and soft, did you dehydrate that batch before cold smoking?
Just curious.

namron2

No, I didn't dehydrate the pork but if I was to do it again, I would for sure. I'm learning as I go along :'(

Johnny

Hey Brother, that's how we all roll! learning from our mistakes :)

namron2

Now isn't that the truth ;D