smoke generator doesn't turn on

Started by PowerDr, May 29, 2017, 11:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerDr

I am trying my Auber WSD-1200 for the first time today with some baby back ribs.  I read the instruction manual and have the smoker connected like it says.  I have the first setting for 2.5 hours at 240 deg and the second setting for 2 hours at 220.  I have the smoke generator set for setting 1 (rl-1 setting on setting page 166).  It heated up to 240 and I tried to advance the first puck and it doesn't go.  the on/off switch is flashing and so is the power light above the dial. (oh I have the new original smoker)  I see on the auber the out light is flashing on and off, I assume that is holding the temperature.  I thought the smoke generator should be powered on for the first set point.

I ended up plugging the smoke generator directly into the outlet and the smoker box into the auber.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

I did read the other post about this problem and one responce was to just plug the smoke generator into the outlet and smoke it that way.  I was just thinking that if the Auber controls the smoke generator then after the first setting the smoke generator burner would shut off for the rest of the time I am cooking.

Also, does the Auber start the timer when it gets up to the temperature set point?  I read somewhere that you should make your first set point a little longer to allow for the smoker to get up to temp.

Greg

Habanero Smoker

It sounds as though you have the power cords going to and from the Auber, cabinet, and generator hooked up wrong. If the on/off light on the generator is flashing, the Auber is interrupting the power to the generator, and you bisquette advance will not run properly. Try just plugging the cabinet into the auber, and plug the generator into the wall socket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

PowerDr

I ended up doing that and now the smoke generator is working.  I had them plugged in like the diagram said with the smoker box plugged into the heater with a normal outlet plug and the smoke generator into the inset plug that said generator operator. 

Now the smoker box is up to 260+ deg and I have the setting for 240.  The output LED is not on but I am wondering if I do have it backwards because that would make sense as to why the smoke generator is flashing on and off because that is supposed to be heating the box on and off to keep the temp.  I will check the connections.  Thanks. 

If I just plug the smoke gen into the wall outlet and the smoker box into the Auber do I still need to have the temp dial all the way to high?  I don't think it is doing anything at this point, right?

Habanero Smoker

It seems you initially had them hooked up correctly. A call or email to Auber maybe needed to follow-up just to insure that Auber didn't wrongly wire something in Auber WSD-1200.

The way you have it setup now, you will not need to turn the dial all the way to high. I don't have your model, and I'm not sure if that dial has to be partially turned to turn on the bisquette burner.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

PowerDr

Thanks for the reply and I feel really stupid even admitting this....but I did have the cables reversed, I went out to look after your last post.  I had the smoke generator in the heater plug and the smoker box plug in the smoke generator.  I should have known something was wrong when the cables didn't reach with the auber on the left side of the machine, like I saw it in all the pictures.  I had to move it to the right side so the plugs would reach.  When the temp got up to my setting it was power cycling the smoke generator.  When I changed the set up it kept my smoker at 240 +/- 1 deg, perfect!

It does say to have the heater dial all the way to high, but I don't think it matters because that is not controlling the smoker box anymore.  When the temp dial is all the way down there is an off position, maybe it just needs to be on to turn on the smoke gen heat plate.  I will experiment next time I smoke.

I was nervous when I hooked everything up because it was my first time using the auber.

Oh well at least there wasn't anything wrong with my smoker or the auber. 

Habanero Smoker

I've been there, and keep returning. :)

From my own experience; when I read that the lights on the generator were blinking the reason I knew it may have been hooked up wrong, is that I made the same mistake. It wasn't an Auber PID, but a BBQ Guru Competitor - another type of heat controller. Same as you, I was eager to get everything hooked up and going. I finally figured something was wrong when the bisquettes kept jamming.

I
         don't
                   inhale.