New to Bradley

Started by GaryP, May 30, 2017, 08:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryP

I am a long time smoker but new to Bradley. All of my previous smoking has been done on a home made smokehouse with a wood fire. Using that method it is very difficult to maintain the exact temperatures needed for snack sticks so I am thinking about purchasing a Bradley. I always hang my snack sticks so I was wondering if the Bradley can accommodate a hanging product and how long of a product I can hang in the smoker. The other issue is I generally make 25 pounds of snack sticks at a time and can the Bradley hold that amount of product? If the sticks are hung, does the bottom get overheated before the top section is up to correct internal temperature? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny

Hi GaryP,
Welcome to the forum first off, I hang my sticks from a few dowels that i bought and cut to length and hang of the sides where you would slide the racks in. ( this you can see on my profile pic )
If its longer sticks your looking to make I'd recommend the 6 rack because its a taller unit. As for the sticks cooking more on the bottom, this is not an issue if you continue to rotate from front to back as they cook.

TedEbear

Welcome aboard, Gary.

I haven't done snack sticks but here's a link that has a lot of info on smoking them in a Bradley. 

Snack Sticks

We like to see pics of the results, if you get a chance.   :)

GaryP

Thanks for the quick reply. Can anyone tell me if you can smoke a 25 pound batch of 19mm snack sticks at one time in the 6 tray Bradley or let me know if a larger unit is available. Also, where is the fan kit available from to even out the temperature inside the unit to eliminate rotating the sticks?

Johnny

I would say you can do 25 lbs at one time but in my opinion it would take quite some time, (I make 10 lb batches and split it up in half and do 2 cooks. ) saying that, I only have the 4 rack.
Im not sure what you are refering to when you say " fan kit" but perhaps someone else knows.
You will also need some sort of PID to control the heat when doing this, From experience, the unit will get too hot and fat out your sausage.

Johnny

When you click onto this link, at the bottom of the page go to pg 1 and read up on how they did the fan mod.
Looks like a great idea!

TedEbear

Quote from: GaryP on May 30, 2017, 09:02:39 AMAlso, where is the fan kit available from to even out the temperature inside the unit to eliminate rotating the sticks?

Gary,

The circulation fan is just one of many mods people have done to their smokers over the years.  Remember, any modifications to it will probably void your warranty.  If you want the step-by-step instructions with pics and a whole lot more go to the link below and d/l GSReader v2.8 and also Recipe_v5.  Once installed, look in the GSReader sidebar for Bradley Accessories & User Modifications.  You'll find the details for the fan mod in there.

Recipe Site

cherrybergher

Welcome Gary, I haven't done any sticks yet but I would definitely go with the 6 rack as you may also want the extra space for other projects as well as the sticks
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"