Tenderloin

Started by pwven, June 04, 2017, 01:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwven

I done some tenderloin, about 2 to 3 inch in diameter yesterday on the top rack and pork rib on the second rack. The rib came out 100% but the tenderloins outside skin was tuff. What can I do to prevent the outside skin from harding?
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor
Second element 2 x 500 Watt

Habanero Smoker

I've never had that happened to a pork tender loin or even a loin that requires longer cooking. When this happens to me, it is generally my ribs that form that tough outer layer, when I'm not using foil. But it doesn't happen all the time. With something like a tender loin, it sounds like it was cooked too long, and a high heat.

Can you provide more information on the tender loin?

What temperature were you cooking at?

How long was it in the smoker?

What was the internal temperature when you took it out?

If your cooking procedure was correct, try foiling after you have applied the correct amount of smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pwven

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 04, 2017, 02:02:43 AM
I've never had that happened to a pork tender loin or even a loin that requires longer cooking. When this happens to me, it is generally my ribs that form that tough outer layer, when I'm not using foil. But it doesn't happen all the time. With something like a tender loin, it sounds like it was cooked too long, and a high heat.

Can you provide more information on the tender loin?

What temperature were you cooking at?

How long was it in the smoker?

What was the internal temperature when you took it out?

If your cooking procedure was correct, try foiling after you have applied the correct amount of smoke.
Thanks for your reply.
Used n standard rub on the tender loin. (4 pieces)
The smoker was set on 215 to 220.
Total time in smoker 4.5 hours  and was smoking the first 2.25 hours.
The IT  of the tender loin was 172 ( that is a bit high I think  )
Will try the foiling procedure next time.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

gricardsimplycol

Ive wrapped in bacon before. Helps some mear

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

The USDA safe internal temperature for pork is 145°F. I generally will take mine out when it is around 140°F. With the carryover the internal temperature may get around 142°F. With bringing the internal temperature to 172°F, and cooking it for 4.5 hours, that is going to create that leathery/tough top layer; and also dry out the interior.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pwven

Quote from: gricardsimplycol on June 04, 2017, 02:21:55 PM
Ive wrapped in bacon before. Helps some mear

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the idea, going to try it.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

pwven

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 05, 2017, 01:56:41 AM
The USDA safe internal temperature for pork is 145°F. I generally will take mine out when it is around 140°F. With the carryover the internal temperature may get around 142°F. With bringing the internal temperature to 172°F, and cooking it for 4.5 hours, that is going to create that leathery/tough top layer; and also dry out the interior.
Thanks for your feedback Habanero. It makes good sense to me. Going to try a next batch of Tender Loin next week.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

Grouperman941

I find that much over 150 tenderloins start to get tough, especially thinner ones.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

pwven

Quote from: Grouperman941 on June 06, 2017, 01:07:06 PM
I find that much over 150 tenderloins start to get tough, especially thinner ones.
Thanks for the info Grouperman.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor