Home made Sausage

Started by pwven, June 08, 2017, 06:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwven

Made some sausage today and want to try smoking some fit it. The sausage came out great and it taste real good. Made 33 lb.
Any recommendations.
How long in the smoker at what temperature?
How long must the actual smoking time be?
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor
Second element 2 x 500 Watt

TedEbear

Looks good.  You might find your answers in the Sausage Making section of the forum.  The thread at the top of that area is "Sausage Making A to Z", which looks quite helpful.

cherrybergher

I haven't made sausage yet, that looks completely amazing
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

watchdog56

IF YOU ARE GOING TO SMOKE I HOPE YOU PUT CURE#1  (THE PINK SALT) INTO THE SAUSAGE? If not you will probably get sick from it. You need 1 tsp per every 5# of meat. I usually mix and let sit overnight in frig then stuff in the morning.

Then I preheat smoker to 150 for 1 hour then put sausage in and turn temp down to 130 for 1 hour,the start the smoke  with 2 hours of smoke  up to 140 for 2 hours,150 for 2 hours and then 165 until internal temp hits 155. You do Not want the smoker temp to get over 180, this will cause a fat out and dry your sausage.  Take out and put in ice water bath to cool below 100 degree.
I only make about 10 lbs max at a time. I have the 6 rack digital. It takes anywhere from 8-11 hours.

You could also make it by doing everything up to when the smoke is done and if temp of meat is around 135 then take out and put in hot water bath. ( This you want not hotter than 170)  Then when sausage hits 155 take out and ice water bath to cool.

Gafala

Quote from: watchdog56 on June 08, 2017, 08:34:53 AM
IF YOU ARE GOING TO SMOKE I HOPE YOU PUT CURE#1  (THE PINK SALT) INTO THE SAUSAGE? If not you will probably get sick from it. You need 1 tsp per every 5# of meat. I usually mix and let sit overnight in frig then stuff in the morning.

Then I preheat smoker to 150 for 1 hour then put sausage in and turn temp down to 130 for 1 hour,the start the smoke  with 2 hours of smoke  up to 140 for 2 hours,150 for 2 hours and then 165 until internal temp hits 155. You do Not want the smoker temp to get over 180, this will cause a fat out and dry your sausage.  Take out and put in ice water bath to cool below 100 degree.
I only make about 10 lbs max at a time. I have the 6 rack digital. It takes anywhere from 8-11 hours.

You could also make it by doing everything up to when the smoke is done and if temp of meat is around 135 then take out and put in hot water bath. ( This you want not hotter than 170)  Then when sausage hits 155 take out and ice water bath to cool.

I agree with watchdog here I follow those guide lines when doing my summer sausage.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Johnny

Absolutely take watchdog56's advice and dont smoke the sausage unless you added the cure :)

pwven

Quote from: watchdog56 on June 08, 2017, 08:34:53 AM

Thanks for the information watchdog56. No I did not put in any curing salt, so I will not be able to smoke them. This is good sausage for frying in a pan or BBQ on a fire. Going to look in the sausage section for more info on sausage for smoking.
Want to make some salami in about 2 weeks time and just had a quick look at the recipe for the salami and that contains curing salt.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

watchdog56

If you are using a Bradley, the temp swings can be +/- 20 degree so you cannot just go by setting the temp and expect it to stay under 180. I use a PID to keep temps under control. They will have a +/- 2 degree swing. I also added another heating element to help with bigger loads of meat to get the temp under control better. If yo are going to do the hot water bath I talked about you could do that without a PID, just set your oven temp to 160 and get the meat temp to 135 before putting in water bath.

pwven

Quote from: watchdog56 on June 09, 2017, 05:25:12 AM
If you are using a Bradley, the temp swings can be +/- 20 degree so you cannot just go by setting the temp and expect it to stay under 180. I use a PID to keep temps under control. They will have a +/- 2 degree swing. I also added another heating element to help with bigger loads of meat to get the temp under control better. If yo are going to do the hot water bath I talked about you could do that without a PID, just set your oven temp to 160 and get the meat temp to 135 before putting in water bath.
Thanks for the info Watchdog56. I have made myself a accurate PID temp controller and it is working very well, see photo. It is winter now in our part of the world an have noticed the Bradley is battling to get over 220F when the door was opened. Will have to install a second element as well. Love the Bradley smoker and the forum with all the help I get.
Original Bradley Smoker
PID controller
Cold smoke adaptor

watchdog56

Nice job. That should work for you.