Question about Auber holding the temp

Started by PowerDr, June 08, 2017, 09:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerDr

I got my Auber dual probe a few weeks ago and have used it twice.  The first time I made ribs.  It kept the temp at 220 +/- 2 deg  for two hours and then the second step was at 230 for 1.5 hours, which it kept +/- 1 deg.   Worked perfectly. 

Last weekend I smoked a pork butt and it kept the temp at 230 +/- 2 deg for most of the time.  I saw the power LED coming on and off which is how I thought it should work, powering on/off the element to keep at the temp.   When I changed the water out the temp dropped to ~190.  The Power LED was still going on/off and it didn't get the temp back up to 230, even after a half hour to 45 mins, it was just maintaining it at ~190 with the LED going on/off.  I thought the way the Auber worked was when the temp was 7 deg below the set point the heater was on 100%.  So shouldn't the temp of the smoker have come back up to the set point after some time?  and the LED should have been on solid?

Habanero Smoker

If the PID was set at 230°F, and it was at 190°F; the light should have been continuously on. Check your PID settings to see if you accidently programmed in a step to hold the cabinet at 190°F.

It is also possible that your probe is malfunctioning. Do a dry run (no food in the cabinet), to see if the pit probe is functioning properly. If you have another third party probe use that in the cabinet to verify the PID readout.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

PowerDr

I checked the settings and it was the C-1 for 3.5 hours @ 230* and then C-2 was 8 hours @ 230*.  When I found it at 190 and it was not going up and the LED was going on and off.  I plugged the oven directly into the outlet and got the temp back up to ~230-235 and then plugged the oven back into the Auber and then it maintained the 230 +/- 2* for the next 2 hours and the LED was going on and off like it should.

I am going to try it again this weekend and see what it does.  This was only my second time using the Auber.

Thanks for the reply.

Habanero Smoker

Glad to see you are back up and running. Sometimes it only takes something electronic to unplug and plug it back in again to fix any glitches.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)