Need help on recipe

Started by smokin fireman, August 20, 2006, 05:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin fireman

I need help understanding what they are saying.  I am cooking a Pork Loin and I got the recipe off the Bradley web site.  The recipe is the Stuffed Pork Loin Roast.  It states in the Smoking Method paragraph:

"Using Mesquite flavor bisquettes, bring your Bradley smoker to approximately 225 degrees.  Place pork on rack in smoker and using thermometer, cook to internal temp of 160 degrees, and appoximately 3 to 4 hours at 225 to 250 degrees."

Now what does that last part mean?  Do you cook it till the meat reaches 160 degrees then smoke it at 225 to 250 for 3 to 4 hours?  I have read that when pork hits 160 then its cooked, wouldn't that over cook the meat and it would come out dry?  The way the sentence is worded the and really confuses me.  Thanks for your help!

asa

Quote from: smokin fireman on August 20, 2006, 05:33:50 PM
  Now what does that last part mean?  Do you cook it till the meat reaches 160 degrees then smoke it at 225 to 250 for 3 to 4 hours?  I have read that when pork hits 160 then its cooked, wouldn't that over cook the meat and it would come out dry?  The way the sentence is worded the and really confuses me.  Thanks for your help!

Fireman -
I'm sure that's NOT what they mean. I suggest you just prewarm the puck-burner by turning it on for ~20 minutes before advancing the first puck, fill the bowl with hot/boiling water, put the loin in, hit advance x3 to get the first puck on, slide the cabinet temp all the way to the right, smoke for 3-4 hours, and then take it out when the internal temp reaches 160 degrees. In general, I don't like the cabinet temp to go as high as some do, usually keeping mine below 220 or so. But try it different ways to see what you like.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Smudge

Obviously not. The 'and' before approximately should be replaced with parentheses to read more accurately, IMO. There is no reason to cook the bejesus out of the loin after hitting that temp.

smokin fireman

So if I understand correctly, the total cook/smoke time for a 3 to 3 1/2 pound loin is around 3 - 4 hours.  Stupid question, if I place two  3 pounders in the smoker does that make the cook time longer?  I am cooking for the family and want everything to be perfect.  The funny thing is, when I called the in-laws and my family to come over for a cook out, they about had a stroke.  I don't think I've cooked a meal, well, if you call frozen pizza a meal  ;)

Habanero Smoker

I agree with Smudge. I think the recipe is stating preheat to 225°F and smoke/cook at 225°F-250°F for about 3-4 hours.

I smoked about 7 pounds of porkloin not too long ago, when making Canadian bacon. I smoked/cooked at 200°F until an internal temperature of 150°F was reached. The addition of a second piece will take a little extra time; I would guess 30-40 minutes more maximum. Make sure you check the internal temperature of both pieces. It is possible that one will get done much sooner then the other.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dan the sauasage man

I work in a grocery store making sausage and hams. The correct temps to use is 120 degrees while smoking. And you also should leave the product in there for awhile before adding smoke to it. that is when the product takes the smoke the best

Oldman

Quote from: Dan the sauasage man on September 15, 2006, 07:11:36 PM
I work in a grocery store making sausage and hams. The correct temps to use is 120 degrees while smoking. And you also should leave the product in there for awhile before adding smoke to it. that is when the product takes the smoke the best

Dan,
Your post is completely ambiguous. Are you saying to smoke it for the given time stated and then move up the temperature up to 225 F - 250 F or to completely smoke / cook it at 120 F.

While smoking @ 120 F with "cured" meats may work it will not with fresh. What this recipe is using is fresh pork with not cures.  120 F is in the extreme danger zone for fresh meats.

Dan I hope you will accept what I have to say next in the good faith I'm saying it, and while we all will be looking forward to what you bring to the table in the area of sausage and hams, please be very careful about what advice you give to new folks when it is outside of your own box of expertise which at this point is very ambiguous advice.  You must be clear when giving directions to new smokers.

Please clarify your posting.

I will be looking forward to your posting concerning taking fresh hams, how you cure them  and then smoking them!

Thanks
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!