Hey Canucks...where do you buy your briskets and pork butts?

Started by azamuner73, March 15, 2010, 07:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azamuner73

Here in Nova Scotia I don't see any large hunks of raw meat in our local stores.  I have yet to check costco or any of the local meat shops
(not many in the area that I know of).  I'm hoping to find a spot where I can get some pork bellies, pork butts (boston butt) and briskets with a fat cap (packers cut from what I have read).

Where are you guys/gals finding your meats?

If I lived in the US, I'm sure I could find one without any trouble.   :-\

RAF128

No problem finding meat here in Saskatchewan.    We've got Safeways, Sobeys, Extra Foods.    All have meat counters and if they don't have what you want, the butcher there will cut it to you specifications.   Sobeys even sells fresh sea food, all kinds of fresh fish, shell fish and even fresh Lobsters.   Just will we could get better prices on the shell fish and lobsters.
Also we have lots of butcher shops that have an even better selection of meats.   

azamuner73

Lobsters are kinda expensive here too and they are caught locally.

We have Sobeys and Superstore (Loblaws) here but I am assuming I would have to order these in since they don't seem to be regular stock.  The worst part is they will put their 100-220 % or whatever ridiculous profit margin on it before you get it.  I'm hoping to find a local butcher where prices are a bit lower and maybe eventually even finding a supplier so I can get a deal.  I'd much rather cut out a few middlemen than to pay a distributor and then a retailor if I don't have to.

ottawasmoker

I go to local butcher shops for my meat. Build a relationship with the butcher over time and have no issues getting special cuts now and then.
I find the prices at some of the butcher shops as good if not better than supermarkets.

smokeNcanuck

QuoteI go to local butcher shops for my meat

Same goes for me.  I have two good butcher shops with in twenty min. of my house,
One I like for pork and the other for beef, but both are great.  I usually talk directly to the
butcher to ensure I get what I want. This was after a couple mix ups, but no biggies.

sNc
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"

Smokey J

In Nova Scotia I would try Brothers meats, in Halifax. If not then I'm sure a local butcher could help.
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Bull BBQ Angus 4 Burner
Case of Beer

Edward176

Hey Cherryberger, lots of great butchers in the Peg. In the south end of town I"d try Miller's Meats, I believe on St. Marrys Road at St. Annes. If you need more info send me private message with your address and I'll give you a few butchers in your end of the city.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

cherrybergher

Quote from: Smoker John on June 06, 2017, 08:30:01 AM
I purchase mine from local meat shops/butchers

Thanks Edward, I've got a regular butcher.  I was just curious to see what others are using.  I've heard good things about Millers and Cantors
BDS 4 Rack

Edward176

Yeah, I've tried Cantors and Millers both are very good butchers with quality meat products. I've heard good things about DeLucas on Portage too. I've been using Springfield Meats (Springfield at Raleigh St.) His meat is aged 28 days before he gets it and he carries everything and will custom order/cut to taste.

cherrybergher

Quote from: Edward176 on June 06, 2017, 12:06:20 PM
Yeah, I've tried Cantors and Millers both are very good butchers with quality meat products. I've heard good things about DeLucas on Portage too. I've been using Springfield Meats (Springfield at Raleigh St.) His meat is aged 28 days before he gets it and he carries everything and will custom order/cut to taste.

That sounds intriguing, appreciate the heads up
BDS 4 Rack

DevinM

Quote from: azamuner73 on March 15, 2010, 07:15:33 AM
Here in Nova Scotia I don't see any large hunks of raw meat in our local stores.  I have yet to check costco or any of the local meat shops
(not many in the area that I know of).  I'm hoping to find a spot where I can get some pork bellies, pork butts (boston butt) and briskets with a fat cap (packers cut from what I have read).

Where are you guys/gals finding your meats?

If I lived in the US, I'm sure I could find one without any trouble.   :-\

We have lots of good butchers in Nova Scotia, Costco does not have Briskets.

I myself would go to Chatters in Dartmouth, or Oultans in Windsor. The butcher in the Hydrostone also have brisket and I imagine all of them will have butts.

CRussel

I'm out west, but any butcher can order what you want. I know I just call or stop by and order bellies and/or butts. I just make sure I get the order to them soon enough and the meet comes in on their next order, usually Thursday evening, here. Brisket I can get at the butcher in the next town, he always has them in stock, but I could order them as well. Even a decent grocery should be able to order what you need. But build a relationship with a nearby butcher -- they can be very helpful.