New toys

Started by Roget, June 18, 2017, 12:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

This is what I purchased to try my hand at making sausage.

Both units were priced at $229.00.
Walton's had a father's day sale & I got both for $179.00 each.
Both have metal gears, so even though the grinder is not the best on the market, I think they are plenty good enough for me.

I got some seasonings and casings to make some fresh & smoked sausage, & Sam's Club had butts at a good price so I think I am ready to dive in.

I've been thinking about trying sausage making for some time now so I'm anxious to get started with my first batch.
Hopefully some of you master sausage makers will be here to help me if things go sideways.  :) :)
YCDBSOYA

Gafala

As for the equipment I have the same setup except I did add a meat mixer and a meat slicer 10".  Keep your vent wide open don't run your temp up to high and get a fat out. I buy my meat from a local butcher then I grind it two times to get a fine grind that makes for a smoother sausage. This is my preference.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Piker

Experiment with spices to find what you like best. I used to mix Avery small batch fry it up and taste it before making a larger batch. The combinations are endless. Good Luck!

cathouse willy

Nice score,here's my favorite sausage recipe. Classic Bratwurst from the book Charcuterie,a mild pork sausage.It goes well on the grill and makes an excellent toad in the hole.

3 lbs beef, 1 lb pork or veal and one lb pork fat all ground fine.
3 tb kosher salt, I use less
3 tsp ground white pepper
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 cold eggs beaten
1 cup cold cream
mix and stuff in pork casings keeping the mixture cold
Very tasty

watchdog56

What the heck is cold cream? The only thing I know is what my wife puts on her face.LOL

Roget

Thanx for the advice fellas.
I plan on making sausage tomorrow.
I'm going to start with a simple fresh breakfast sausage just to get my feet wet.

I'll let you know how it goes.
YCDBSOYA

Johnny

You got an awesome deal!! Nothing wrong with that grinder, I bought a cabelas grinder 5 years ago, I'm thinking it must have metal gears but not entirely sure.. I've been trying to kill it so I can justify buying a larger one. Ive put at least a dozen pigs through it and at least 6 or 7 moose and its still going. I tend to use alot of pre mixed sausage binder for fresh sausage, I also use recipes from Rytek's book but I always add some type of binder such as soy protein or toasted wheat crumb, but thats my preference. Any advice I can give ya your welcome to it!
Cheers,
Johnny.

Roget

Sounds like you have gotten your money's worth out of your grinder Johnny.
As much as you use yours, you can justify purchasing a new one.
I wanted a #12 grinder but couldn't justify the difference in price. I just won't use mine as much as you  use yours.
Thanx for offering your advice on sausage making. I'm sure I will have more questions as I am completely new to sausage.
YCDBSOYA