Greetings from Southern Portugal!

Started by jeffncris, February 02, 2016, 01:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffncris

Hi guys,

been using the forum for a few days and realized I haven't intoduced myself. I'm originally from the mountains of NC, so I'm used to good BBQ! Since I have been living here, I have been using my Weber kettle and the trusty old Smoky Joe, but i am new to smoking. A friend of mine in the States got a Smoke Vault gas smoker for christmas, and has been driving me nuts with the pics. I then attempted to smoke in the kettle, but since the charcoal here is lump coal (almost impossible to find briquettes) I had a heck of a time controlling the temp and ended up overcooking a few batches of ribs. Then, a miracle occured! A guy from Australia opened a Weber shop, so I stop in to peruse and , lo and behold, a BDS, still in the box! First one in Portugal or so he claimed. Anyway, I buy it and now I have seasoned it, and my first smoke will be this coming Saturday. I really appreciate all the tips from the resident experts and the fabulous recipes for rubs and the like. Let the smoking commence!
Cheers,
jeffncris

TMB

Welcome from Alabama!   I bet in your part of the would good BBQ is scarce.   ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

jeffncris

BBQ is beginning to take off here because of shows on the Food Channel are now included in cable TV packages. The Portuguese love to roast meat on swinging grills over an open fire, they usually throw in fresh herbs that are in season, rosemary, bay, thyme and the like, and the food is fantastic. But the whole concept of low and slow is unheard of here. I'm gonna try and change that, at least in my neck of the woods!

manfromplaid

your going to need some good rubs.  I use jan's rub quite a bit and the family loves it. not to say its the only one but they ask for it.  do a search here and the recipe is posted somewhere.

jeffncris

Thanks for that, looking up Jan's Rub now!

TMB

Quote from: jeffncris on February 02, 2016, 08:46:24 AM
Thanks for that, looking up Jan's Rub now!
Some of the best rub you can find
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

TedEbear

Wildcat

I like Jan's rub as well, especially on birds. My favorite for pig is Iceman's Oinker rub.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

jeffncris

Odd

Hi, I am from Norway, but living in Portugal, close to Lisbon.
I would like to buy a Bradley smoker, but cannot find them for sale in Portugal.
Does anybody know if they are sold here?
If not, where is the best place to order?
Thankful for any help.
Regards, Odd

Habanero Smoker

According to Bradley's website they have dealers in Spain, but the link to that country doesn't work. On the map, click anywhere on Europe, and a more detailed map will appear where you can select Spain.
https://www.bradleysmoker.com/find-a-dealer#slide3

It would be better to contact one of the European distributors. The link below will take you to a contact list.
http://www.bradleysmoker.co.uk/index.php/contact.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Odd

Thank you Habanero Smoker, I have sent mail to the European distributers.
I hope that I will get my smoker soon.   

jeffncris

Hi Odd,

I live in the Algarve, in lagos and I bought mine from a company in Lagoa called Importeco. Phone number is 282 343 645, or email   [email protected]. Hope this helps!

Jeff