With the Original Bradley 4 rack smoker only needing smoke part way

Started by cloose, June 19, 2017, 09:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloose

Hi There
I am new at using our smoker. I am wondering if the original electric smoker can shut of the smoke generator if we do not want to use it the whole time the food cooks? Example..if you want to smoke your ribs for 2 hours, then just cook for the remaining 2 how do you do that? Or would we have to upgrade to the digital smoker?

Thanks

TedEbear

Hi and welcome aboard.  With the OBS, you have to manually turn off the smoke generator.  However, many people leave it on the entire time for the added 125W of heat.  If you do that, just be sure and not leave a puck smoldering on the heat plate or it can eventually leave a bitter flavor.  Bisquette savers will solve that problem.  You'll need 3 of them.

gricardsimplycol

Use just enough pucks for the time you want to smoke.
Leave the puck burner going as it will help maintain the cabinet temp you want
Without the puck burner going yoy will have a tough time keeping temp up to what you need

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cloose

Thanks for the replies. We haven't used it yet, and do have the opportunity to upgrade to the digital one, do you think it would be worth the extra money?

manfromplaid

that depends on what you want to do with your smoker. if your plans include sausage,fish or other cooks that will require tighter temp control lots of other users choose to purchase pid controller. as an example I bought the digital smoker then upgraded to a dual 500 watt mod. and bought a n auber single probe pid. which eliminates the use of temp and time control of the Bradley. so if you decide to go this route save the money and use it to purchase or construct a pid. you can find lots of info on upgrades here. and ask questions when you need help or advice.  hope this helps.

gricardsimplycol

I have heard lots if issues with the digital. I bought the original 4 rack and still use it. I just ordered the original 6 rack. Not a whole lot can go wrong with the original. I did get a pid to control the new one. 

Smoker John

I have no issues with the digital 5 years old & no mods, works great. gricardsimplycol what issues are you referring to?
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

jesse_sanders

Quote from: cloose on June 20, 2017, 10:16:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. We haven't used it yet, and do have the opportunity to upgrade to the digital one, do you think it would be worth the extra money?
Absolutely not.

cherrybergher

BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"