salt

Started by manfromplaid, June 28, 2017, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromplaid

going to smoke some salt. anybody have some hints or ideas  thanks

TedEbear

I've never done it but here's a link to some threads about it here on the forum.

Smoke Salt

Be sure and post your results.   ;)

Gafala

I line my racks with cheese cloth and put a layer of sea salt and then smoke till you have the color you want on your salt.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

I use low sided foil pans. If I can't find pans with low sides I will cut the sides off using kitchen scissors so that the sides are about 1-inch high. I then wet the salt, using 1 - 2 tablespoons of water per cup of Morton's Kosher salt. The water seems to help the smoke adhere to the salt. Stir the mixture until the water is well distributed. Spread the mixture in a thin even layer in the pan, and smoke until salt is dry; stirring the mixture often. If it is taking too long in the smoker to dry, and you find you have enough smoke flavor, you can transfer to a 325°F preheated kitchen oven to finish drying, again stirring often. When dry, breakup any clumps - the crystals will come out a little larger, but I will either place the salt in a grinder, or use the large crystals as a finishing salt at the table.

You don't have to use water, you can use sriracha sauce, vinegar or what ever liquid you like to make it an infused salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manfromplaid

was thinking to cold smoke but if I get the salt a little moist what temp is needed to dry and smoke.. thanks for the tips and ideas.

Habanero Smoker

You can cold smoke it first, then transfer to the oven, or raise the temperature in the Bradley. I generally will hot smoke it, keeping the temperature at around 225°F. At 225°F, it will take the salt a long time to dry. I tried a batch where I kept the temperature around 140°F, during the smoking application, then transferred to the oven to dry at 325°F.  Unfortunately I didn't have any smoke salt from previous batches to see if I could notice any difference in color or taste. I've seen some infused salt recipes that use a temperature as high as 350°F. Drying the smoked salt in your kitchen oven will, will give your kitchen a slight smoke odor.

I also read an article, that if you dry salt at different temperatures, that effects the size of the crystals that are formed. I couldn't locate it, but if you find it, it is an interesting article.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gafala

Some one was asking where I got my jars here is the link they are not cheap, they do the job.

http://freundcontainer.com/8-oz-clear-glass-round-jars-cork-wooden-spoon-7007b15/
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.