Nitrite-free cures?

Started by Bob D, June 28, 2017, 03:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob D

Is it possible (and practical) to cure and smoke pork belly without using commercial cures that contain nitrites or nitrates? I would be freezing the meat immediately after smoking.
Thanks,
Bob

Habanero Smoker

There are recipes for salt cured only bacon, but it will not have that bacon-like flavor that nitrites provide. I would stay away from the celery powder cure gimmick. Celery has a lot of naturally occurring nitrates, and the powder concentrates those nitrates. The powder is difficult to use in how much is needed, and to know exactly how much of the nitrates broke down into nitrites. As for myself, nitrates are nitrates and nitrites are nitrites; no matter if they are natural or synthetic.

Example of salt cured only bacon:
Scrap Iron Chef's Bacon

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bob D

Thanks for the tip. I have found other salt only cures, and I think that's what I'll try. Salt cure, cold smoke, freeze. I'll update this thread when I have done this.
If anyone has had actual experience with this, please chip in.
Bob

Bob D

All, I have gotten better at searching the forum, and I found an excellent post by northern_hunting_mom from a few years ago. She uses only salt and sugar and hot smokes. Not sure how to link to her post.

Habanero Smoker

Just copy the url then paste it in your post.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34811.msg403728#msg403728

I don't think I've made salt only cured bacon. I'm always experimenting, and sometimes forget what I make or don't make. :) But I have purchased commercial salt only bacon - bacon without nitrites and/or celery powder. It doesn't have that bacon-like flavor that nitrites bring to the bacon. It was more of a slightly salty/sweet fresh belly taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MallardWacker

Good to see you're still around Hab....  Hope all is well.

Sorry for the high-jack

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

Hi Mike;

Good to see your post. Everything is well. I hope all is well with you. Are you still investigating accidents, or have you been able to retire?

I
         don't
                   inhale.