Author Topic: Pulled Pork drying out  (Read 277 times)

Offline Stan the smoker man

Pulled Pork drying out
« on: July 06, 2017, 01:50:08 pm »
Newbie to the forum,  After pulling the pork in Aluminum pans to serve it dried out rather quickly.  Tedebear adds back broth. Does anyone add back a mixture of 1/3 apple juice, 1/3 apple cider vinegar, 1/3 water with some rub thrown in?

Offline GusRobin

• Member Extraordinaire
Re: Pulled Pork drying out
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 02:54:25 pm »
I don't. I don't wrap when it is cooking, but cook it to 200-205 range (maybe lower --all depends when it passes the tender test). I do FTC it (double foil, wrap in towel and put in a cooler (no ice) for an hour or so.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Offline Ka Honu

• Member Extraordinaire
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinion
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:15:53 pm »
I generally defat the drippings, add a little back during FTC, and the rest as needed when pulling.

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 02:11:20 am »
You may have over cooked the pork. Do you know what internal temperature you took yours too?

If you are referring to adding a sauce after you pull it, always add a vinegar based sauce to my pulled pork; just enough to enhanced the flavor and not over power the pork.

My version of Vaunted Vinegar Sauce

1 C. Nakano rice vinegar ( apple cider vinegar will give it a more tangy taste)
1 Tbs. brown sugar (other sweeteners can be used)
1 tsp  table salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, or hot pepper flakes, or 1 tsp. of your favorite rub mixture

In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients. Cover, leave at room temperature, and let set for at least 1 hour so that flavors meld. I use this in the amount of about 2 cups for a pork shoulder that weighed 7 or more pounds, prior to smoking. I then adjust the amount until I get the flavor I'm looking for.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline Stan the smoker man

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:17:47 pm »
Thanks I was referring to adding back something after you pull the pork, It was moist when pulled but dried out sitting in the serving dish. 

Offline Wildcat

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 05:02:23 pm »
Never had that issue. Then again I smoke at around 205 until it passes fork test. Meat will be around 175 to 195 when done.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/