Brand new smoker - currently smoking a meatloaf/potatoes

Started by BCom91, July 07, 2017, 03:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCom91

Hey Guys,

New to the whole smoking game and new to the unit. I've done some reading, just curious how long it takes to get to high temperature on the unit. My element is glowing, I have the unit cranked to high and have had it on for well over 1.5 hours, I've opened it twice (once to put potatoes in and second time for the meatloaf). How long should it take roughly, given its a very hot day out, out of direct sun and next to no wind. Also, does opening the vent all the way cool it down or speed it up from a heating perspective.

Any tips you can provide would be fantastic.

Habanero Smoker

How long it takes for your smoker to get to it's highest temperature is difficult to estimate. With the outdoor temperature being hot, and being in direct sunlight helps. If you are smoking a load that is not large and doesn't produce a lot of moisture, set your vent to 1/2 - 3/4 open; but start with a 1/2 setting first; then adjust. You should see changes in the temperature within 10 minutes, and you can start making more adjustments from there. If what you are smoking contains a lot of moisture, start with a full open vent.

Other things that can cause a slow rise in temperature or poor performance is having too many electrical devices on the same circuit that is drawing too much current. Wind can prevent the smoker from heating up. Having the cabinet temperature probe too close to the food can produce a lower temperature reading than the actual cabinet. Purchase a third party probe to obtain a more accurate temperature reading.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BCom91

I had it around 9 o'clock on the dial and it steady itself around 115 Degrees C. I'm guessing it is the probe on the inside that was off as I had the lower rack holding a pan with potatoes and the second from the top rack with a meatloaf so likely blocking the corrrect reading. I  have ordered a 2 prong third part thermometer from Amazon, so I'm hoping that helps. However what is the trick to heating it up without burning through pucks? Just don't put the pucks in until you are ready to smoke?

Grouperman941

Quote from: BCom91 on July 08, 2017, 07:52:15 AM
I had it around 9 o'clock on the dial and it steady itself around 115 Degrees C. I'm guessing it is the probe on the inside that was off as I had the lower rack holding a pan with potatoes and the second from the top rack with a meatloaf so likely blocking the corrrect reading. I  have ordered a 2 prong third part thermometer from Amazon, so I'm hoping that helps. However what is the trick to heating it up without burning through pucks? Just don't put the pucks in until you are ready to smoke?

It shouldn't need much more than an hour t preheat, so just don't advance the pucks. The first puck hits the plate after 60 minutes. Or just wait to put in the pucks.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

I don't load the bisquettes until after the smoker has preheated. The I load the amount of bisquettes I want to use, push the advance button three times, then load the food. You are not going to get much better than 115°C.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

gricardsimplycol

Keep your vent open

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gricardsimplycol

Put an internal thermometer in the meat and cook to temp of doneness

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk