Cleaning the V tray after smoking drippy cheese

Started by pwabrahams, July 28, 2017, 12:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwabrahams

I'm cold-smoking mozzarella cheese.  Despite using  Frogmats mats on the racks, I still have a noticeable amount of melted cheese and other gunk accumulating on the V drip pan.  I've tried cleaning it with a brush, soap, and water, but that isn't sufficient.  I thought of treating the  V drip pan as a disposable item, but at $25 it's too expensive for that.  So what's a good way to clean it?  Alternatively, can I just give it a quick rinse and let the stuff accumulate for years?

Habanero Smoker

I have a plastic tub big enough to place the V tray (drip tray), and soak it. I like using Dawn Power Clean; though I believe they may have changed the name. I use to find it in BJ's or Costco, but haven't seen it for a while. Luckily I have a stockpile. After soaking for at least 5 minutes I use a heavy duty Scotch Brite pad.

Below is a thread on the subject of cleaning the tray.

Cleaning The V Tray/Drip Tray

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RedJada

For starters if you are dripping cheese cold smoking your still to hot. As for as your cleaning question I have found when the racks, v-tray, etc get too dirty/gunked up. I do a dry run with an extra water bowl. No smoke and run the temp around 150 for a couple hours. After that, take the racks and what not to the kitchen sink and wash. Stuff comes off with ease.

Gafala

After a cold smoke with cheese or any thing else I run everything through the dishwasher every thing comes out like new one and a while there is smoke residue and a 3m pad takes care of that. I'm using the Bradley cold smoke adapter haven't had any temp problems in the unit. I have never had cheese melt in the BDS here is some cheese and garlic we did a while back .

And the cold smoker.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

aha638

I clean my V rack with oven-off - soak in plastic bag!

bestsmokersinfo

Agree with:
"For starters if you are dripping cheese cold smoking your still to hot. As for as your cleaning question I have found when the racks, v-tray, etc get too dirty/gunked up. I do a dry run with an extra water bowl. No smoke and run the temp around 150 for a couple hours. After that, take the racks and what not to the kitchen sink and wash. Stuff comes off with ease and Masterbuilt electric smoker"

rnmac

I have a old roasting pan that is big enough to hold it. Just fill it with hot water and dish soap then let it sit out on the deck overnight. The next day clean-up is easy. Do this with my racks also.