dry curing

Started by cathouse willy, August 02, 2017, 12:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

I'd like to try making prosciutto and salamis. I have a spot in a cool basement for a cabinet but I'm not sure of the temps and humidity that i'd need to maintain. Can anyone recommend a good write up on the process?

Gafala

There are a number of post about this, from how to build a curing unit.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=33914.msg394556#msg394556

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=32134

I built one using a small soda refer and did it so when I'm not curing I can still use it for sodas.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

cathouse willy

Thanks for the reply. My plan is a wooden cabinet with a small bar fridge built into the bottom for cooling and a small humidifier. The spot I plan to keep it is in the basement, avg temp 65 f and humidity 70%. I am looking at an Inkbird ihc230, a temp/humidity controller. I can't find any bad reviews on the internet,has anyone here used one?
http://www.ink-bird.com/products-humidity-controller-ihc230.html

cathouse willy

The drying cabinet is moving along.The cabinet is built and I've collected most of the parts I'll need. I already have a small bar fridge for cooling and I found a small dehumidifier and a controller for it all, also there's a low speed muffin fan for circulation and air exchange. The cabinet is 1/4" ply over 2x2 framing, the basement is quite cool and humid so I'm hoping that will be enough. Now I need a good recipe for a first batch of salami or ham, any advice welcomed.

cathouse willy

Where did everyone go?? I'ts been over 4 days and not one new post.This is where my meat drying cabinet is,pretty much ready to go. ai have a recipe for hungarian salami from Len Poli's site,All I need now is for the unusually hot weather to break and I'll start

watchdog56

I know. I posted about my heating element and got answers but just don't have the time to work on it now. Surprised no other posts also???

Habanero Smoker

Your cabinet is looks like it is coming alone really well. Though I just mainly try to answer others questions, lately I've been busy getting ready for my annual barbecue party.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

Sweet looking cabinet! Is that an inkbird temp control? I havent
Been on here or doing much in the way of smoking or processing meat this summer. Between operating our cabinet shop, building our new house and camping there hasn't been much time.. when the fall rolls around I'll get back into things.

cathouse willy

Salami Calabrese. My first attempt at air drying sausage. All cased up and ready for the fermenting/drying cabinet. With a bit of luck it should be ready for Christmas. The oddball lengths are a result of poor planning.

Smoke and Fire

Wish I had time to busy at work that looks nice hope sausage trunks out perfectly for you .

cathouse willy

Success!!! salamis lost 30% of their weight so it's taste time. It has a nice tang and a bit of heat and looks ok too.

Gafala

I see you didn't use the peninsula mold, I use it all the time when dry curing.
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

cathouse willy

I did use the mondostart surface culture but it didn't really get started. I think it's because I soaked the casings in warm chlorinated tap water, I have a small lonzino in the cabinet that has lots of white mold and I used water that the chlorine had evaporated from...live and learn.

Gafala

Chlorinated tap water will kill the mold, when I'm doing salami I use non chlorinated and the spray with the mold I use the same. For a good start on the mold use a high humidity and a temp of 50deg for the first 24hrs or until you see the mold, works great for me.
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"

chuckb01

Quote from: Gafala on October 06, 2017, 04:09:42 PM
I see you didn't use the peninsula mold, I use it all the time when dry curing.

I was looking at a thread of yours that was supposed to have photos of a heat controller of some kind: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=35347.0

But for some reason all i can see is i need a 3rd party hosting or photobucket. Not going to get photobucket. Do you have photos available elsewhere? I have been making sausage for over 25 years and dry fermented sausage for the past 5 years. I just started making a nice controller for use on a fridge that controls heat, cold, and humidity. Very accurate. I am making 10 of them. i was a n electronics tech before I retired