Apple Bacon Cure

Started by Gafala, August 07, 2017, 10:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gafala

I have had no luck finding a apple cured bacon recipe ,does any one out there have one.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

I've never seen it, but I've tried wet cured bacon using apple cider. It came out pretty good, but it is a salt only cured bacon. If you want that traditional bacon flavor that nitrites provide add 1.5 ounces of cure #1, and reduce the salt by 1.5 tablespoons.

Scrap Iron Chef's Bacon

Additional Notes:
I cured for 4 days, and it was not salty.
Maybe if you use Boiled Cider (a syrup made for apple cider) instead of the molasses, that may increase the apple flavor.
One gallon of brine will brine up to around 25 pounds.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Check out this recipe.  While I have never made it I have talked to several that have and they love it.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=400.0

Gafala

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 08, 2017, 02:09:30 AM
I've never seen it, but I've tried wet cured bacon using apple cider. It came out pretty good, but it is a salt only cured bacon. If you want that traditional bacon flavor that nitrites provide add 1.5 ounces of cure #1, and reduce the salt by 1.5 tablespoons.

Scrap Iron Chef's Bacon

Additional Notes:
I cured for 4 days, and it was not salty.
Maybe if you use Boiled Cider (a syrup made for apple cider) instead of the molasses, that may increase the apple flavor.
One gallon of brine will brine up to around 25 pounds.

I think I will use this one the next time I do bacon, my daughter can only eat Apple smoked meats.
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Gafala on August 08, 2017, 09:58:50 AM
I think I will use this one the next time I do bacon, my daughter can only eat Apple smoked meats.

Does she have nut allergies? I have a great niece who developed an allergy to nuts two years ago at the age of 10. She no longer attends my barbecues, due to the smoke produce from my Bradley, and other cookers, and the smoke on the meats and other foods.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Gafala

She only has problems with nuts if they are smoked, and red die #6. Hickory is the worst one for her instant migraine. She has not been here when I have been smoking so I don't know about that.

Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"

watchdog56

Check out this recipe.  While I have never made it I have talked to several that have and they love it.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=400.0

Kynola- Do you think if it is  cold smoked for 5-6 hours I would need to  add smoke during the hot time? If so how long do you think I should smoke it for during that time?

Gafala

I think the Scrap Iron Chef's Bacon one is the best but use Boiled Apple Cider instead of the Molasses more flavor. I will be trying that in a few weeks.

Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"

Habanero Smoker

Just a short note. If you decide to use cure #1 in the Scrape Iron Bacon, to give it the bacon-like flavor, the 1.5 ounces of cure #1 per gallon of liquid provides a safe ppm of nitrites in bacon, since you will not be injecting. Even with injecting, it is highly unlikely the home user could inject more than 10% brine. The 1.5 ounces cure #1 is equal to 7.5 teaspoons.

I
         don't
                   inhale.