Honey meatballs

Started by watchdog56, August 16, 2017, 12:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Was thinking of using this recipe for the meatballs then roll in honey then wrap bacon and into smoker for 2 hours of apple. With a brush of honey coating in the last 20 minutes.
Let me know what you think

Anytime Meatballs
2 lbs beef (we used 1 lb of ground chuck and 1 lb of ground venison)
1T olive oil
3/4 C finely chopped onion (we used red onion)
1/2 C bread crumbs (we used seasoned)
2 eggs
1/2 C milk
1 1/2 t oregano
1 1/2 t basil
1 1/2 t garlic salt
1 t seasoning salt
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t pepper

Saute the onion in the olive oil until cooked through; set aside to cool.
Combine the other ingredients, then add cooled onion.
Mix well, and form into meatballs.
Smoke at 225 degrees for about 2 1/2 hours.  We used mesquite smoke

watchdog56

Well they did not turn out like I was hoping. First the meatballs were really mushy. Think next time take out the milk. Also might have to try and double the spices and cut the onion down to 1/2 cup.

Some people liked them but I just did not think there was much taste to them.

DLewisNamar

Have you tried the recipe again without the milk or to any success? Looks interesting and tasty if done properly.

tskeeter

Watchdog, I think you are on the right track in reducing the moisture in your meatballs.  The original recipe was probably for cooking at a higher temp, which would probably result in more moisture evaporation.  Then, you wrapped the meatballs in bacon.  This probably reduced moisture evaporation even further.  And, it is possible that in addition to the reduced moisture evaporation, some of the fat rendering from the bacon was absorbed by the meatballs.

The bread crumbs and milk in the recipe make a panade.  The panade helps to make the meatballs tender.

Rather than completely eliminating the milk, I think I'd try reducing the milk to 1/4 cup and see what the meatball texture is like.  And adjust future batches from there.

watchdog56

Good idea skeeter. If I make these again will I try that