Smoking Ribs

Started by Shasta bob, August 19, 2017, 03:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasta bob

When I smoke ribs in the smoker should they be on there side or flat ? bone side down first or meat? my smoker has been upgraded to 1000 watt  what temp do you recommend and how long?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Gafala

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

I don't like "fall off the bone ribs". I like "bite of the bone ribs"; meaning you should be able to bite into the rib leaving a clean bite mark, exposing the bone. So though I foil when cooking spare ribs, I don't use the 3-2-1 method, but I basically follow the steps in the link that Gafala provide, just note that when I foil, I place the ribs meat side down. If you want a competition type of rib, before foiling you can add brown sugar, and butter (or squeezable margarine), before wrapping.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Shasta bob

thanks for the info I will reply latter after the dinner, thanks
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Gafala on August 19, 2017, 05:38:27 PM
Check this out its the 3-2-1 method of doing ribs.

https://www.thespruce.com/the-3-2-1-barbecue-method-335862

This method should only be used as a general guideline, and according to Sterling Ball- multi-winner of the Royal Oak BBQ Championship (bigpoppasmokers.com) has ruined many a budding bbq-ist. The timing is  "rib type and temperature dependent". Baby backs take less time than St. Louis style.
I mainly cook baby backs because I prefer more meat on the ribs. I use a drum smoker @ 275F. 1:45-2 hrs. bone side down, 1 hr. (approx.) foiled, meat side down w/butter, brown sugar& honey. About half way through the foil phase I do a toothpick test to determine doneness. If they're getting close I'll shorten up the foil time. Then the last half hour or a little longer if needed, they're out of the foil, sauced and back in the drum bone side down, to tighten up the sauce.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Shasta bob

thanks for the information, that right there is what makes this site so great there is so much help and information here its amazing. thanks the ribs will go on in 15 minutes.  So about the posting of pictures what is everyone using?  with out forking over the 400 clams?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

cathouse willy

I'm using "postimage" someone on another forum said it was good and it works well for me.
https://postimages.org/

TedEbear

Quote from: Shasta bob on August 20, 2017, 12:48:27 PM
thanks for the information, that right there is what makes this site so great there is so much help and information here its amazing. thanks the ribs will go on in 15 minutes.  So about the posting of pictures what is everyone using?  with out forking over the 400 clams?

Did you read through the Chat Room thread?  I replied to your question in there.

Shasta bob

how I read the earlier post in the chat room?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Gafala

Quote from: Shasta bob on August 20, 2017, 12:48:27 PM

I have been using DropShots seems to work good and its free.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

TedEbear

Quote from: Shasta bob on August 20, 2017, 08:19:45 PM
how I read the earlier post in the chat room?

The chat room thread.  Click on the link. I've been copying questions that people ask in the chat room and pasting them in that thread, hoping that someone will provide an answer. I answered yours in there since you originally asked it in the chat room itself.   ;)

manfromplaid

I am using tapatalk to post my pic