Author Topic: Burnt wires  (Read 306 times)

Offline peakeman

Burnt wires
« on: August 20, 2017, 09:16:31 am »
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem the original smoker but I was having trouble with the heating element—it wouldn't heat up—so I swapped it out for a new one. When I tested that one it didn't heat up either. Then I found that the one of the wires at the ring connector had nearly corroded thru. I opened up the back and found that that wire was pretty burnt up at the end, and the thermoplastic on it was rock hard. Plus the insulation was pretty baked in one spot. I checked the other wire and its ring connector was just hanging on and its condition was like the other. Considering that these smokers don't get that hot (+250 degrees max on a good day. In the sun. With no wind.) and the wiring is rated for ~225 degrees, this seems rather unusual for both of them to burn out on a smoker that's just over a year and a half old.

Offline pensrock

• Member Extraordinaire
Re: Burnt wires
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 05:36:54 am »
The temperature of the smoker most likely is not the culprit. A loose connection at one end of the wire makes more sense because a wire will get real hot if there is not a good connection. There may have been a bad crimp or the nut or screw on one end was not real tight, its hard to say at this point.

Offline Gafala

• Gem faceter by choice, BBQ Smoker by heart.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:17:45 am »
The temperature of the smoker most likely is not the culprit. A loose connection at one end of the wire makes more sense because a wire will get real hot if there is not a good connection. There may have been a bad crimp or the nut or screw on one end was not real tight, its hard to say at this point.

I agree with that. Wire will not burn as described unless it was subjected to a much higher current then it was rated for, and I can't see a Bradley doing that.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24”
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Offline peakeman

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:11:21 am »
So it was likely a problem because of how it was first assembled?  There was some green corrosion on the wires, too, I assume from excess humidity in the chamber even tho' Bradley provides a bowl for water

Offline TedEbear

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 04:28:16 am »
Excess humidity in the cooking chamber can be caused by the top vent being closed or not open far enough.  Was that ever the case with yours?