home made digital controller but temp. too hot

Started by Jrm7997, September 20, 2017, 09:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrm7997

Hello all

I built my own temp. controller and set it up to control the 500w heater.  I found the controller never turned on the heater.  The smoke generator was producing enough heat to be greater than what i needed.  I have the controller set for 120 degrees. 

Next i disconnected the 500w heater and use the digital controller to control the smoke generator.  The SG being the only source of heat.  As I figured before I started this caused the situation that the pucks won't move forward because the timer is also going on and off when the timer turns on and off as the temprature flutuates.

Im thinking its time to build a cold smoke adapter but i wanted to run it out to you guys to see what you come up with.  As i see it, unless the ambient outside temprature is higher that freexing the smoker is going to be too hot.

I hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance for your comments

Jim

Habanero Smoker

I am assuming this is Fahrenheit? Setup your controller the way you originally had it, and set your controller at a higher temperature. This will let you know if your controller is actually working. If the bisquette burner is enough to heat the cabinet to 120 or higher, there is no need for the controller to turn the heating element on. Setting the controller to 200°F, you should see it working. Once you build your cold smoke cabinet, and offset the generator from the cabinet (oven), you should be able to use the controller to heat the cabinet to 120°F or lower.

When you hook the controller to the generator, this will interrupt the electricity flow to the motor - turning it on and off. Thus shutting off the power to the generator while the bisquettes are trying to advance. This will either cause a jam, if the power interruption occurs during when the bisquette is cycling, or if the bisquette is not cycling during the time of the power interruptions, the timer will be reset to 20 minutes after the power is turned off then on -  thus not advancing any bisquettes; or shutting off completely after the cabinet has reached 120°F. Also your burner may never get hot enough to cause the bisquettes to smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jrm7997

Thanks Habenerao

What you say confirms what I figured out.  Time to build a cold smoker.  Maybe today :)

I have about ten LBs of Spring Salmon to smoke.  Normally I leave it till later in the year and need to put a cover over the smoker to keep it warm enough.  This is also the first time trying to control the heat with a programmer.  Sooooo off to the shop

Habanero Smoker

Looks like you will be soon enjoying a lot of good smoke salmon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)