HELP! Duel Element Mod Instructions Needed

Started by fireman68, September 24, 2017, 04:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireman68

I have an older original Bradley smoker (with the temperature slide on the bottom of the cabinet) that is in pretty rough shape. I was looking at replacing it and trying to decide on going with the digital smoker or the newer original smoker and a PID. I found a great deal on an original and decide to go that route.  I was also thinking about taking the heating element from my old one and adding it to the new one to give it duel elements. That was the 1 thing I never liked about the Bradley was the length of time to recover the temperature when adding a full load of meat to smoke or keeping temperature if it is cooler or windy. I have been trying to find directions on how to do it and all of the links are older ones that go to the susanminor site that isn't working anymore or other forums with pictures from photobucket that don't display. Can anyone give me directions on how to do this? I am assuming that I just make a separate jumper wire for each end to go between the 2 elements. Is that correct? Do I need high temp wire? Where can you purchase this kind of wire? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

GusRobin

you can purchase the wire and terminals at allied-kenco
http://www.alliedkenco.com/301.aspx

send me a PM with your address and I will send you a PDF of the mod instruction to add a second element.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: fireman68 on September 24, 2017, 04:01:04 PMI am assuming that I just make a separate jumper wire for each end to go between the 2 elements. Is that correct? Do I need high temp wire? Where can you purchase this kind of wire? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have an OBS and that's how I wired my two elements.  I've been using it that way for over 5 years and no problem.  For the high temp wire I went to a mom and pop appliance repair store and asked them if they sell it.  I told the guy I needed about 1 ft.  He came out of the back with some and gave it to me free.

I also added an Auber PID controller in the SG at the same time I did the dual element mod.

fireman68

TedEbear - How difficult is it to wire in the PID? I was going to look at the plug and play model, but would prefer to have it built in like yours, so it's more compact.

TedEbear

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: fireman68 on September 26, 2017, 01:02:42 PM
TedEbear - How difficult is it to wire in the PID? I was going to look at the plug and play model, but would prefer to have it built in like yours, so it's more compact.

You might want to keep in mind, that if you build your own PID, and if you build it in it's own separate project box. You can also use your PID to control other electrical heating devices; such as your crock pot - which you can then use it as a sous vide cooker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dAWGS

can anyone tell me if this mod for the slide model is the same as the dial model?

CErb1987

So this is something I am interested in as well. I will be the owner of one of these tomorrow or Friday.

I'm also interested in building a PID as it seems the cheaper option and I am on a tight budget. So if anyone has any pointers or links that would be awesome.

In the meantime I will be trying to google about the PID.

Thanks in advance!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: dAWGS on February 11, 2018, 08:11:19 PM
can anyone tell me if this mod for the slide model is the same as the dial model?

Hi dAWGS;

I didn't see your post until today. The wiring will be the same, as long as you use a stand-alone PID, and plug the cabinet directly into the PID. One member, who has the new original smoker did build his PID inside the generator. He has plans poisted on this site. This morning I don't have time to find that post, but it does exist.

Quote from: CErb1987 on February 28, 2018, 11:08:08 PM
So this is something I am interested in as well. I will be the owner of one of these tomorrow or Friday.

I'm also interested in building a PID as it seems the cheaper option and I am on a tight budget. So if anyone has any pointers or links that would be awesome.

In the meantime I will be trying to google about the PID.

Thanks in advance!

Hi CErb1987;

You get better results searching the forum by using the below search method through google. Type the below string into google search, the only thing you will need to change is search phrase; replace that with the phrase you are searching for.

search phrase site:forum.bradleysmoker.com

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: dAWGS on February 11, 2018, 08:11:19 PM

Check this thread:  Modding a BS611