Mod Recomendations

Started by McBorzea, September 25, 2017, 05:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBorzea

Just bought my first electric smoker after getting tired of babysitting my wood smoker all day. So after doing some reading on blogs like this one I bought the BOS
With the intent of adding or upgrading the heating element and getting a pid? It's that correct? What's that stand for? So I'm looking for suggestions on both.. one heating element or two? What brand? Just add a replacement? I smoke all year long summers are hot and winters can be cold... Pid brand? I see aurbor is popular.. I just hope it has good directions... Also have questions on hooking the duel heat element to it... Anyone know of a good video tutorial?
Thanks

TedEbear

Welcome aboard.  Many people will suggest that you try your new Bradley as-is, without any modifications, and see if it does what you want.  The theme here is low and slow.  Also remember if you modify your smoker it will void the warranty.

Anyhow, I like to tinker and so about 5 years ago I added a second 500W element and an Auber PID controller inside the smoke generator.  For the things I smoke I probably didn't need all that but I enjoyed doing it.  If you want to see how to do various things to yours you can d/l and install the two files below.  They contain all kinds of recipes, mods to your smoker and a whole lot more.

Recipe_v4.exe

GoldenSection Reader v2.8

Instructions for installing these can be found in the thread below, if you need any help.

Recipe Site

McBorzea

Thanks... Says file type is unsupported on my phone... I'll have to try in the computer when I get home..