Author Topic: Bradley Original not getting over 160 degrees  (Read 527 times)

Offline Mitchell N

Bradley Original not getting over 160 degrees
« on: September 30, 2017, 06:47:28 pm »
Greetings all, new to the forum.  I just had this problem with my Original Bradley Smoker, purchased in July 2017.  I wanted to put this here in the event someone searches with the same issue.  I found similar issues, but not this exact one with a resolution.  It wasn't the heater element.

The symptoms were:

Today (5th use) it wouldn't go over 160 degrees.  Before today, it would get up to 225, but it would take a while, and when I would open the door for whatever, it would take 45 minutes or more to get back up to temp.  Being new, I didn't know this wasn't spec.

I went a-googling and found where others were asking for solutions.  I saw the extra element mod, and a couple others.  Someone suggested to check the plug into the back of the box.  That piqued my interest.  Mine was working to a degree, so this didn't seem significant, but then I realized I've seen my power connector loose, and even checked it today when I was trying to get the heat up.

I realized the connection being loose wasn't good, so I got a pair of needle nose pliers and bent the conductors so the female plug would seat better and didn't move.

I turned it on, and bam, within a few minutes it was up to 240 degrees.  I would have found it earlier if the element wasn't warming at all, and it didn't occur to me at first that the loose fitting would restrict the voltage, instead of not letting any through.

Been smoking for a while with a Chargriller and SFB.  I decided to make life a little easier.

Offline KyNola

• Moderation Team
  • KCBS CBJ
Re: Bradley Original not getting over 160 degrees
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 07:25:59 am »
I'm guessing your element was not working at all.  The puck burner was your only heat source.  Your dilemma is pretty common.  If the power jumper cord isn't properly seated the heating element won't work.  Glad you solved your problem.

Offline harleyr warrior

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 04:50:51 am »
Good luck to you. Hope all works out for you. I had my Bradley  for a month and knew then it was lacking in heat. I decided to modify mine with a 900watt element and a convention oven fan mounted directly behind it. I've  smoked 4 6lb chickens at one time and up to 6 racks of ribs at one time. 225 at about 5 to 51/2 hours. I've smoked a 22 lb turkey from start to finish. If you are smoking small amounts of meat you will be fine. But if your smoking anything of any size it will take hours to get to 225.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline clarke21953

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:28:34 pm »
Greetings all, new to the forum.  I just had this problem with my Original Bradley Smoker, purchased in July 2017.  I wanted to put this here in the event someone searches with the same issue.  I found similar issues, but not this exact one with a resolution.  It wasn't the heater element.

The symptoms were:

Today (5th use) it wouldn't go over 160 degrees.  Before today, it would get up to 225, but it would take a while, and when I would open the door for whatever, it would take 45 minutes or more to get back up to temp.  Being new, I didn't know this wasn't spec.

I went a-googling and found where others were asking for solutions.  I saw the extra element mod, and a couple others.  Someone suggested to check the plug into the back of the box.  That piqued my interest.  Mine was working to a degree, so this didn't seem significant, but then I realized I've seen my power connector loose, and even checked it today when I was trying to get the heat up.

I realized the connection being loose wasn't good, so I got a pair of needle nose pliers and bent the conductors so the female plug would seat better and didn't move.

I turned it on, and bam, within a few minutes it was up to 240 degrees.  I would have found it earlier if the element wasn't warming at all, and it didn't occur to me at first that the loose fitting would restrict the voltage, instead of not letting any through.

Been smoking for a while with a Chargriller and SFB.  I decided to make life a little easier.
Wrap a brick in aluminum foil and put in the bottom of your smoker next to the water bowl. If you're smoking something where you need to open the door to baste or put sauce on, it retains the heat so your smoker goes back to temperature faster.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk