Used Bradley Digital 4-Rack Smoker

Started by wnordmann, October 04, 2017, 03:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wnordmann

I found a used Bradley Digital 4-Rack Smoker on craigslist for $125 but I was told it needs a element. 
Wife is trying to talk me out of it, so help me convince her it'll work fine. 

Would buying and installing a element to test it with a over thermometer be a reasonable test?  How long would a test run to be seen as valid? 

Anything I should look for it see if it's working?

Gafala

Buying off a site like that I would stay away, there could be other problems as a bad controller or smoker and you would not have a warranty to work with caution is the name of the game. Save your money up and buy a new one when they go on sale. Just my thoughts. I'm not saying buying of Craigslist is bad but in this case you don't need a new door stop.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

FuBar

The element is easy and fairly fast to replace. I would see if they have some extra pucks and spend 20 to 40 minutes to see if the smoke generator is working properly

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

wnordmann

Thanks for the replies so far.  What is the target sale price I should look for?  Or better who is the seller I should watch?

I might ask for a reduction in price if I can see that the smoker works. 

gricardsimplycol

For that price I would just buy a new one from meatprocessing for 269.00

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jon515

I got mine new in box from a person on craigslist who went vegetarian for $112.  I want to sell mine now, but the door hinge broke and I don't want to repair it.   I'd give you a heck of a deal if you were close!

Handyman

First, I would place a  voltmeter in the AC plug going to the oven and turn it on. If 120V is present then the element is blown. But I recommend you do the 900W Grainger mod that others have done. I've just done it a couple of weeks ago and mine now performs perfectly. If he's asking $125 and it's broke, I'd try for 75 but only if you have voltage on the oven wire.

Sausage Master

Your wife is a wise person.  Listen to her.  Just get a new Bradley and you'll be good.  I've had mine for 8 years and never a problem.
Charles (Chuck) Freeland
The Sausage Master
Phone: 405-397-1084 Fax: 888-547-7993
Email: [email protected]