Beef Ribs?

Started by McBorzea, October 10, 2017, 05:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBorzea

Would you recommend beef ribs using the 3 2 1 method?
Or what is preferred?

Habanero Smoker

Beef ribs are difficult to give advice on unless one knows what cut the ribs are from. Another factor, when I purchase beef ribs - depending on the place and day the thickness can vary a great deal. So it is like a different cook each time.

If you have short ribs (a.k.a braising ribs, flanken ribs, short plate ribs, Korean short ribs....); this is a tough cut; similar in comparison to spare ribs. These require more time, and if they have 1.5" of meat the 3-2-1 method in the Bradley would be a good starting point. If thinner cut down the time, if thicker you may have to increase the time.

The other style of beef rib is the short back rib (a.k.a dinosaur rib, beef back ribs etc...). This cut is leaner and requires less cooking time.

I wouldn't bother with trying to remove the membrane. It is too difficult to remove, and often when removed the bone will separate from the meat during cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: McBorzea on October 10, 2017, 05:00:43 PM
Would you recommend beef ribs using the 3 2 1 method?
Or what is preferred?

You might take a look on www.amazingribs.com for some advice on beef ribs. Meathead will have what you're looking for, and that you can adapt to your Bradley.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

McBorzea

GusRobin

when I make beef ribs, I cook them more on a 2-1 and 45min- 45 min. The last 45 may be shorter or longer depending upon when they are deemed done. I check with a toothpick to test tenderness.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Chez

what is the 3-2-1 method?
Walk Softly and Carry a Bent Stick

cathouse willy

The short answer is 3hrs of smoke,2hrs foil wrapped,1hr with sauce. Much more info here.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0

Chez

Walk Softly and Carry a Bent Stick