Does this stuff go bad?

Started by hutcho, October 16, 2017, 06:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutcho

Well does it? Kept in fridge if that helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

The Soy Protein Isolate has an indefinite shelf life when stored properly. Make sure the lid is always tight, and keep in in a dry, dark, cool location. Another thing you can do, but I don't believe is necessary, as you use it, transfer it a smaller jar so there is less airspace in the container.

The collagen casings, can dry out and become brittle over time. It is best to use them fairly soon. When I store them I seal them in the original packaging, then put them in a freezer Ziploc bag, and place them in the crisper drawer in the refrigerator; that is set for vegetables.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hutcho

Great!! I ordered new casings but forgot the binder when I put the order in.  Hate to spend more on shipping just for 1 thing.  Should have snack sticks smoking this weekend then! Thanks for your help!!

hutcho

Everything was kept in the spare fridge in the garage.  The lid was nice and tight, actually kind of hard to unscrew.  The casings are s brand new 3 pack I never opened.  Is there a way to check if they are suitable? I'll probably just use the others so I don't waste 25lbs of meat but doesn't hurt to have spares.  My biggest concern was the protein being bad and somehow making someone sick.  I can live with a subpar product but not that.  Anyways. Thanks again for your help!

Habanero Smoker

I don't use collagen casing often, and when I do I generally use them up in a short period of time. I would believe the main indicator if they are too dry, would be if they split or crack as you stretch them out and slide them over the horn.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

hutcho

Ok so been reading a little more.  The soy protein blend I got I've read is more for summer sausage.  Waltons recommended sure gel binder or something similar for the binder.  Is there another alternative that I don't have to order? I thought I saw something about dried milk powder or something...

Habanero Smoker

I rarely make snack sticks, so maybe other who do will chime in. When I occasionally do make them,

At first I thought Sur Gel is a pectin that is used in making jams etc. Then I went on the Walton site and seen there is a product called Sure Gel; which is soy protein with phosphates added. It's a simple error to make. Phosphates tend to help hold water in cooked products; so I don't understand why they would recommend that for snack sticks; unless it binds with the water to make it unavailable to bacteria. On the other hand Walton is a very good source on learning how to make sausages.

I believe the best binder is the primary bind. That is formed when the ground meat, salts and other ingredients are mixed until the meat becomes very sticky. When I do add a binder to the sausage I will generally use one of the following; soy protein concentrate, powdered milk, or fermento (buttermilk that give the sausage a "tang" without using encapsulated citric acid). Though this is the first time I've heard of Sure Gel. It looks like a good product, but I personally would not use it. Phosphates leave a metallic/bitter after taste when I get something that has too much in it.

I made an error in my post; I meant to say soy protein concentrate not isolate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.