smoked beef hearts, cure or no cure?

Started by smokingbear, September 24, 2017, 04:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokingbear

I've been playing with beef hearts lately, a local place has them on a regular basis for $1.29/lb and they are surpisingly easy to cook and tasty (to me).  I recent tried smoking one, aimed for 8 hours, but ended up 12.  Wrapped it and set it in the fridge overnight, then sliced, at it was heaven.  I am now considering a doing a batch of 4, but have seen some conflicting opinoins about where to cure it first.  I have Prague, Insta, and Mortons, but only use them for jerky.  Any reason I should consider curing this next batch?  I'm not brining it first (i think this is the decision point on curing or not, right?), and I am making sure to bring it 140-160 at some point.

Thoughts?

P.S.
If it matters this a bradley 4 rack digital, I'm doing 3 hours smoke (hickory or mesquite) then the rest without.  200 for first hour, then 140 for next 8, then crank the heat until internal is acceptable then pull.  Heart is pre-cleaned an cut into 4 segments, 1 on each rack.

oldsmoker

No cure. I would rub withevo  rub salt and fresh cracked pepper. In the Bradley at 225 until 150 int temp. never did one but sounds good
OLDSMOKER