New to smoking. A question that's probably been asked 1000 times

Started by bguraluick, November 01, 2017, 10:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bguraluick

Hi guys. My brothers and sisters gifted us a 4 rack digital smoker for our wedding this past weekend. This is the first smoker I've ever had so I am brand new to this whole thing. As of right now I only have 2 questions that have both probably been asked 8 million times each but I'm gonna ask 'em anyway.

1. I have an insulated shed that I hope to set the smoker up in for winter (gets pretty cold and windy in Saskatchewan in the winter). Is it enough to just put plywood over a window, cut a hole and run a dryer vent pipe or 4" round duct from the top vent to the hole in the plywood? Is that enough to vent properly?  Straight up then 90 out the window with some tin tape to seal?

2. What the heck is the difference between hot and cold smoking?

Sorry in advance for the probable repetition of questions.

Thanks guys and excited to get smoking!

Toker

Welcome here. For your 1st question, the type of setup you mentioned is what I use ans it's working very well. To make sure I have no smoke inside, I installed a fan cause it was to much smoke left inside without a fan.

As far as your second question, the difference between the hot and cold smoking is mainly the temperature. Cold smoking is below 90f and hot smoking with a Bradley is generally between 200-250f. With a Bradley, if you want to cold smoke cheese exemple, you want to stay below 90f or the cheese could melt. To achieve such low temperature, you will mostly need a cold smoke adapter or the temperature won't go below 100f with the generator attached to the tower.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

bguraluick

Hi toker,

Do you have any pictures of your setup? Is your fan inline of the duct?

Toker

Toker

Quote from: Toker on November 02, 2017, 12:54:19 PM

Envoyé de mon iPod touch en utilisant Tapatalk
The fan is the blue thing, I don't really know the difference between an duct and an in-line fan sorry.

Toker

Quote from: Toker on November 02, 2017, 01:06:01 PM
Quote from: Toker on November 02, 2017, 12:54:19 PM

Envoyé de mon iPod touch en utilisant Tapatalk
The fan is the blue thing, I don't really know the difference between an duct and an in-line fan sorry.

Maybe you have a better look with this picture

Edward176

Welcome to the Forum bguraluick. Yeah it gets pretty damn cold and windy here on the prairies, tough to smoke.
Love your set up Toker. Nice and simple. Kind of gives me an idea or two :)

Toker

If you set it up inside, let me suggest you to build something like this to protect you against the grease fire.

Toker

It's a protection that completely cover the élément section so no fat or dripping can access the section. It's custom made.