Soy protien?

Started by watchdog56, November 08, 2017, 06:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I am planning on making version brats using Nepa's formula. It call for non fat dry milk and I was wondering can I use Soy portion instead and if so how much difference in amount? Here is Nepas formula;

This is for 10 lbs

7 lbs of lean meat   pork or beef
1 1/2 lbs pork fat
1 1/2 lbs pork butt
4 T salt
3 T sugar
4 T fresh parsley (chopped)
2 whole eggs
1 1/4 t white pepper
1 1/4 t black pepper
1 t nutmeg
1 t mace
1 t ginger
1 cup cold distilled water
2 cups whey or non-fat dry milk
32-36mm hog casings (opt)

Grind all meats together with med plate. Mix dry ingredients (and eggs) with water and mix well into meat. Stuff into links about 6" long or make into patties. Cook as usual. Can be frozen for 6 months.

Enjoy

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Soy Protein Concentrate and Non-fat Dry Milk are interchangeable to a point. The recommend usage for Soy Protein Concentrate is .5 ounces per pound of sausage, or 5 ounces or 1 cup per 10 pounds of sausage. That gives you about a 3.5% of the green weight of the sausage; the recommended amount. The highest recommended usage is 4.5% of the green weight. Using more than 4.5% of the green weight of the sausage will alter the taste of the sausage. With Non-fat Dry Milk you can use  more than twice the amount, which in the case of the recipe you posted, before altering the taste of the sausage. I the recipe you are using around 10% Non-fat Dry Milk of the green weight of the sausage.

So it is not recommended to use more than 5 ounces (1 cup of Soy Protein Concentrate - do not pack) for 10 pounds of sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

CoreyMac

Most of the recipes I have for the soy protein concentrate say 2 cups for 10 lbs. I have used that much with poor results. Meat comes out moist but soft. Poor texture. I agree with 1 cup per 10. I have decided to stop using it all together. Even with the 1 cup per 10lbs the texture is off.

Corey

Habanero Smoker

I've had problems when I used to measure, now I go by weight, and get better results. When I use to measure, I later found I had been measuring wrong. I use to scoop the soy protein up into the measuring cup, until I learned you need to spoon the soy protein into the measuring cup until it is overfilled, the level it off. Scooping packs the soy protein into the cup, and I was using too much.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CoreyMac

Good point, it does seem to pack quick.