Pork tenderloin question

Started by kootenay, September 09, 2017, 09:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kootenay

Hello smokers,

I have tried quite a few different recipes for pork tenderloin in my Bradley, and most of the recipes state to remove the meat at 160. Regardless of what recipe I have used, I have always found that at 160, the meat is just too dry.

So the last few times I have removed the pork at 140 - 145 and wrapped it in aluminum foil for at least one hour, and it has turned out way more tender than removing it at 160.

Can anyone else chime in here about their own technique?

Habanero Smoker

Unless it is the shoulder cuts or ribs, I will only cook pork to 140°F, then tent with foil and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes.

The 160°F is the old USDA recommendation for pork. The new USDA recommendation is to bring it to 145°F, with at least a 3 minute rest period. The 145°F, with at least a 3 minute rest period is the USDA recommendation for all meat and fish. For poultry it is 165°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kootenay

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 10, 2017, 02:10:23 AM
Unless it is the shoulder cuts or ribs, I will only cook pork to 140°F, then tent with foil and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes.

The 160°F is the old USDA recommendation for pork. The new USDA recommendation is to bring it to 145°F, with at least a 3 minute rest period. The 145°F, with at least a 3 minute rest period is the USDA recommendation for all meat and fish. For poultry it is 165°F.
Well thank you very much!

I've never eaten pork that is not cooked thoroughly throughout, meaning no pink. Perhaps that's why they now say 145 vs 160 before. I'm guessing it's okay.

Habanero Smoker

The 145°F for pork very safe; plus you get a much moister meat. USDA uses very conservative internal temperature recommendations. I remove my pork at 140°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DLewisNamar

I'll take the 145 F pork tip to use as well. Never knew that was the perfect temp!

Sausage Master

I like taking it to 140 and the letting it rest.  The final temp after resting will be 145-150+
Charles (Chuck) Freeland
The Sausage Master
Phone: 405-397-1084 Fax: 888-547-7993
Email: [email protected]