Smoking Pork belly, BUT cold out!! Can i finish in oven?

Started by Devros275, November 20, 2017, 11:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devros275

Hi I'm smoking about 7lbs of Pork Belly but it is cold out (only 23degrees) and smoker is having hard time getting up to temp I'd like(225-235) can only get to 200 or so.

Can I smoke for 4hrs and then take to oven?  Will this affect getting good crust, or flavor?

And if I take to oven should I continue to cook uncovered??    Or wrap it.

My plan is to cook pork belly and then cool over night and then cut and fry up for pork sliders tomorrow.

Any thoughts or advise  would be helpful as have not dealt with this cold issue as usually don't smoke in Canadian Winter but just felt like making something different.

THX!!   

Habanero Smoker

If you are referring to pork belly and not bacon. I generally will apply the smoke - usually 2 - 3 hours of pecan, then transfer to a preheated oven leaving it uncovered. I use a modified version of Jamie Oliver's recipe. When it states to start at the highest oven temperature your oven can get to, but I don't use a temperature over 450°F. Making the gravy is optional. Also this may cook your belly until it is fall apart tender. If you don't want to shred the pork, you may want to look at cutting donw the cooking time. There are plenty of roasted pork belly recipes on the internet.

Pork Belly Roast

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Devros275

THX  Habanero!

Yes it is pork belly, not the bacon.

About the time you sent your suggestion the temp in smoker came up and I decided to leave in smoker for full cook.  They are just sitting in cooler right now and in hour or so I'm going to cool down, refrigerate and then tomorrow slice up and fry up quickly top with homemade bbq sauce and serve on slider buns with homemade  pickled red cabbage.

Really appreciate all the advise you give to me and others, really helps when looking for what to do and not sure.

I'll let you know how it turns out

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)