2nd element modification

Started by PhilthyMedic, November 22, 2017, 10:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilthyMedic

Hello all. I've been reading for a while here but first time posting. I've had my OBS for a couple months now and I do enjoy the convenience and ease of smoking with it, but as many have said, the single 500w element is just not even close to being enough. I feel this is a total design flaw and frankly I'm a little upset that I have to do a modification to make it recover. I have only 2 racks of ribs and 4 chicken quarters in it today and at the 2 hour mark I'm still not at 225. So on with my question. I'm ordering a second element and an Auber PID. Some have said they simply run wires from the first element to the second, and some have said to run wire from the plug directly to the second element. What's the final verdict? I'd prefer the least amount of taking it apart possible. Thanks for any help and/or suggestions

TedEbear

I'm one of the ones who ran a short 3-4" loop of wire from each end of the first element to each end of the second element.  I've been using it that way for several years.

I also installed a PID controller in the SG at the same time, although you said you have that.  I do not recommend doing the dual element mod without a PID controller.  The Bradley controller was not designed to handle 1000W.

You can d/l the instructions for installing a second element (and a whole lot more) at the thread below.  Look in there for two links to GSReader v2.8 and Recipe V5. The instructions on how to install the reader on your PC are also in that thread.  It contains a lot of recipes from the Bradley users and a huge mods section on how to install a PID controller, additional element and many other things, plus pics.  I used that when I added a PID to my OBS.

Recipe Site

rexster

Easiest way is to loop a heatproof insulated wire from each end of the first elements terminals. If you have a terminal/wire crimper, crimp on terminal ends so it'll be easier.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

PhilthyMedic

Thanks for the replies guys that's great news. And I haven't yet ordered the PID. Any specific recommendations? I was looking at the Auber WS-1211GPH. Looks easiest plug n play type

TedEbear

That's one of the popular ones on here because it is setup for the Bradley and there's nothing to install.  There's also a 2 probe version of that, too.

The one I installed in my SG is an Auber single probe.  I wanted it like that to reduce the number of wires and things.  Plus, I like to tinker.   :)

I almost forgot to add a warning about the second element.  When you cut or drill the holes in the heating element reflector be very careful.  The thin metal will tear rather easily.  If I recall, I drilled mine out to about 3/8" and then used a grinding bit to enlarge the holes to the size needed to hold the second element in place.

rexster

Ditto on making the mounting hole in the thin ss. I started out with a 1/4" bit and worked my way up. Far as the model of Auber, I got the 2 lead version and loved it.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

PhilthyMedic

TedEbear what model Aubrey is that?

TedEbear

PhilthyMedic

Awesome. Ordered it and the element. I'll post updates. Thanks guys

PhilthyMedic

I ordered the 2352, but looking at other threads, it seems like other people had to buy something else as well. Is that your experience? I don't have it yet but I'd like to get the process moving

TedEbear

Yes, you'll need a K-type thermocouple , a SSR, a heat sink for the SSR, mini plug for the TC and a panel mount to plug it into, a project box (unless you're installing it in the SG), a small terminal strip for inside the box.  All this is for sale on the Auber website.  The instructions (and parts list) is in that file that I posted a link to the other day for the recipe site.

PhilthyMedic

Hmm maybe I'll need to rethink this particular PID and just go with the plug-n-play. And I can't open the recipe page on my mac. I'll have to find my old computer and try it on that.

PhilthyMedic

I didn't forget about this post and all the help I've gotten so far. Went with the GPH 1211 and didn't look back. Got the second element in and it makes a world of difference. This thing performs like I want it to finally and I'll be using it for years to come. Wish I could post a pic of my setup but I can't figure it out on the phone.