My Butt's getting cold

Started by Rckcrwlr, November 23, 2017, 02:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rckcrwlr

I put some butts in the smoker yesterday and this morning I got up and they only got to about 90 degrees.  I have pulled them and put them in the oven but was wondering if I should be concerned with serving them.

I had sheltered the smoker from the cold on my back porch but the outside temps got much colder than expected.

I have them in the oven at 225 now...

Thanks,
John

KyNola

I would be concerned about serving them.  You have no way to know how long they have been in the danger zone.

Rckcrwlr

Thanks KyNola...I kind of knew it but being up since 3am...I figured I would ask.

Well...found out that the element died...I luckily had an extra one.

Installed it and nothing.  I'm not getting power to the element.

Arrrrgghhh!!!

GusRobin

you may have blown a fuse. 
As far as the meat, "when in doubt, throw it out". I always figure that while it is "painful" the cost of a couple of butts is not worth getting a loved one sick (even the mother-in-law).
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Rckcrwlr

Is there a separate fuse for the smoke generator and the element....

Sorry to ask instead of look but not home right now.

GusRobin

Not sure on the digital but the original has a fuse link connected under the back f the cabinet.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

watchdog56

Just replaced a useable link in the back of my 6 rack digital. You have to take out the screws on back panel and then there is  a link that goes to heating elements. Easy to replace and cheap. Yard and Pool have them for around $3.60.

TedEbear

Check it with a multimeter first so you're not just replacing parts without knowing what the problem is.