real wood

Started by Led611, November 24, 2017, 06:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Led611

anyone use solid wood pucks if so how did they work

Led611

I HAVE A CABINET SHOP AND HAVE ACSESS toa varity of woods i made some biscuits from solid woods i will try them and post my findings just thought someone may have tried them and could save me some time

TedEbear

There have been some people who have made pucks out of wood dust, but I have never heard of anyone using solid wood.  For one thing, I wouldn't think the hot plate would get hot enough to burn it.

There's a thread or two around here on making your own pucks.  I believe it is in this section.

Led611

just tried some solid wood biscuts in my big chief smoker worked fine my bradley origanal smoker is on the way hopefully the generator will be at least as hot as the big chief burner

Habanero Smoker

The Bradley bisquette burner will reach around 550°F.

If I recall correctly, there was at least one member who tried solid wood pucks, with little success. I also believe he drilled several holes in each puck.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Led611

okay may not work but don't know til you try yes i tried 2 one with a 1 inch hole in the middle 1 without one with the hole did much better

DGSmooth

great thread......wondering if you have any pictures of your press setup?

TedEbear

Quote from: DGSmooth on November 15, 2018, 10:44:55 AM
great thread......wondering if you have any pictures of your press setup?

Try the thread below for starters.  No pics in it but it has links to some pics and videos on how it is done.

Homemade DIY Bradley Smoker Biscuit Instructions

Also, welcome aboard.   :)

Freedom

I have had success with Apple trees. Just make sure to age it a few years and remove the bark or it can smell like a forest fire.. not dinner cooking.

Diameter and puck thickness is very important so the  Bradley  smoke generator can work as designed. It will jam if not full thickness