Hot Snack Sticks Loosing heat

Started by TwistedSanity, November 24, 2017, 08:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwistedSanity

Hello,

I am running into a bit of a problem on my last couple runs of snack sticks that I am making for friends.

I make hot (medium heat) snack sticks and taste them a couple times once they are finished and packaged. At this time I can defiantly taste the heat in the stick. The sticks are then vacuum packed and handed out to friends. They all say that within 24 hours of them being packaged the heat in the stick has disappeared. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this and how it can be prevented.

Below is my ingredients list for a 4lb run and my cooking process. I am using Lean ground beef

Ingredient      
Salt      0.25t
Brown Sugar         2.5t
Ground Mustard         0.75t
Whole Mustard Seed         1.5t
Course Ground Black Pepper         0.75t
White Ground Pepper         1.5t
Paprika         2.5t
Onion Powder         0.75t
Garlic Powder         0.75t
Cure (Prague powder)      As specified      
Water   1 C            
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes         1T - 2t
Ground Cayenne Pepper         1T - 2t
Ground Jalapeno      2t

Process
stuffed in 21 mm casing and set in fridge for 12 hours
placed in smoker
1hr at 130
2 hr at 150
3 hr at 180
at 180 until internal hits 152
no smoke is applied throughout process

sticks are taken out and into ice bath for 5 mins

set to dry on counter for 1 hours

trimmed and vacuum packed

Froze

Gafala

When I make Snack Sticks after mixing the spices with the meat I put the mix in the fridge for 24hrs, but that is just me. Better flavor. Stuff the next day.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

After cooking chili peppers lose some heat, but I've never personally experienced them losing heat during storage.

You didn't mention if you experienced the same results as your friends. Have you opened a sealed package after 24 hours and tasted them. If not it could just be your friend's own subjective taste preference. If you get the opportunity, have one or more of your friends taste them within the first 24 hours of when they are done, and before packaging to see what they say. Then have them report back, after they have opened a sealed package from the same batch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sausage Master

Personally, I've never given snack sticks a shower at the end of the cycle.  Here's my cook cycle.
COOK CYCLE:

TIME (Min)   TEMPERATURE      HUMIDITY   DAMPER   SMOKER

60      Drying Time   0      Open      Off
180      125-145      0      Open      On
*      165         0      Open      Off (Until sticks are done)

At the end of the cycle, leave in the smokehouse at room temperature for a couple of hours, and then move to the cooler.  Hold until the sticks take on a shriveled appearance, and then package.
Charles (Chuck) Freeland
The Sausage Master
Phone: 405-397-1084 Fax: 888-547-7993
Email: [email protected]

Orion

Simple fix for this. Your ingredients do not provide much heat to begin with. Bump it up with some dried and ground Habanero pepper...maybe half teaspoon. This will fix your issue.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

TwistedSanity

Thanks Everyone for the responses.

It looks like Habanero Smoker was correct with the difference in taste preference. I was able to try some of them this weekend and they were the same as the day they were packaged.

I do have a few other follow-up questions for the rest of you.

Gafala - I have read that the binder in the meat will make them difficult to stuff at a later time. do you not have this issue or do you do something to over come it?

Sausage Master - Can I assume that your drying temp is 125-145? How long does it normally take in the cooler before you are ready for packaging?

Orion - I will be adding this spice to the mix.  is it 1/2 teaspoon per pound, or per 4 pounds?  Also if you were do this would there be any of the other spices you would remove as they would become unnecessary?

Again thank you all for your responses. I will be running them again this weekend and will post on how they turn out.

Orion

Dried Habanero, (make sure you get the real thing) is a potent ingredient. I would suggest a half teaspoon for your 4 lbs of meat. Alternatively, you can experiment with it a bit first. Try a bit in any soup, sauce, stew or rub mixture. It brings a great ever so slight fruity taste to anything you make.

TwistedSanity

Thanks Orion,

now to find a place up here to get it :-)

Gafala

Gafala - I have read that the binder in the meat will make them difficult to stuff at a later time.
Sausage Master - Can I assume that your drying temp is 125-145? How long does it normally take in the cooler before you are ready for packaging?

I have never had this issue but if you do add a little water to the mix that would help.
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

watchdog56

I have added soy protein concentrate to my stick mix and put in frig overnight then stuff. They go through the stuffer ok unless I add cheese then it is a little stiffer. I can still stuff it just takes a little longer.

Orion

If you can't find dried habaneros just buy fresh and dry them yourself. Wash, Cut in half and place them on a tray in a 170 degree oven, mix them around occasionally. Trick is to dry them, not cook them. Once dry, grind them in a blender until a nice powder. Delicious stuff! I dry and smoke mine for a great flavour.

Gafala

If you can't find dried habaneros, try Ti Dragons or Ghosts I dry them then grind to a powder and yes I grow Dragons & Ghosts. Also I did 50lbs of Sweet Walla Walla Onions sliced and dried them and ground to powder ended up with three quart jars of powder, I mixed that with sea salt and handed it out to friends.
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"

GusRobin

Quote from: Gafala on November 27, 2017, 02:14:13 PM
If you can't find dried habaneros, try Ti Dragons or Ghosts I dry them then grind to a powder and yes I grow Dragons & Ghosts. Also I did 50lbs of Sweet Walla Walla Onions sliced and dried them and ground to powder ended up with three quart jars of powder, I mixed that with sea salt and handed it out to friends.
What ratio?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Gafala

Ratios

Dragons are about the same as the Habanero

The Ghost pepper 1/4 t or less they are the hottest pepper I know of 1.5 million scovilles.

Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"

Habanero Smoker

You can order habanero powder from Spices Etc. Occasionally they can be a little slow in shipping your order, but I've never had a problem with their products. That is my go to place for ingredients such as wine, cheese and other specialty powders; also for certain dehydrated fruits.

Spices Etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)