Pork shoulders

Started by Shasta bob, December 03, 2017, 05:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasta bob

Questions, if I was to do some Bradley smoked pork shoulders what would be the problem of cutting the shoulders into quarters  to gain more bark and more seasoning and shorter cooking times. What would I be losing in the long run? I have done them the whole way but I was just thinking. any comments or suggestions?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Habanero Smoker

I've never tried it, but I've read posts on other forums that cutting it into smaller pieces you risk rendering out too much fat and collagen, thus ending up with a dry product. On the other hand I've read at least one post on this forum of at least one member cutting a whole boneless butt in half, and reporting he had good results.

If you do proceed; to avoid getting mushy pork, I would carefully monitor each piece, since one of more will finish before the others.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Shasta bob

thanks Habanero, I will use my smoke thermometer from thermo works.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Habanero Smoker

Did you purchase the Wi-Fi gateway with the Smoke? If so, can you also include how well the app works, and how easy or hard is it to set up with your home network?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Shasta bob

Sorry, I purchased the smoke before the wi fi was available till see more results.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the response.

ThermoWorks had a 15% discount on purchases of at least $125 or greater. It was ending yesterday so I decided to pull the trigger. I purchased the gateway and a case.

Looking forward to hear how the pork turned out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Gafala

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 06, 2017, 02:16:41 AM
Thanks for the response.

ThermoWorks had a 15% discount on purchases of at least $125 or greater. It was ending yesterday so I decided to pull the trigger. I purchased the gateway and a case.

Looking forward to hear how the pork turned out.

Keep use informed about this, sounds good but does it work well. What one did you get?
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

Like Shasta Bob, I purchase the Smoke prior to them releasing the Gateway - an accessory which lets the Smoke connect to your Wi-Fi.  At the time the Smoke would only transmit by radio signal to a remote. Similar to the Maverick remote thermometers, but the Smoke has greater range, connects to the receiver with far less problems, and a dropped signal is easily connected. A few months back they released the Gateway. It's an $89 accessory, in addition to the $99 of the cost of the Smoke; so it can be costly. It's not for everyone, but if you are thinking of getting one, it works great without the Wi-Fi. Also the Smoke uses the same probes as the Chef's Alarm and DOT; which are far more accurate than the probes you get with the Maverick. Though the probes are not fully waterproof, the ends where the wire enters the probe are sealed.

Smoke

I
         don't
                   inhale.