Did I get a whole Brisket?

Started by RoguePiper, December 09, 2017, 09:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoguePiper

I have only ever done one other brisket.  I just bought a second one and it looks nothing like the first.  Trying to figure out if I got screwed.

The cut was about 3 feet long and not very thick.  I think I see a flat and point structure, but very little meat around it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lDpP9Q6bbakVMcKF3

Was hoping to use part of the flat for Montreal Smoked meat and the rest as smoked brisket.  But not sure there is enough meat to do anything with the Montreal Smoked meat.

Piker

I get several each year from my s.i.l. And they are about two feet long and never mote than three inches thick. Thr amount of fat is minimal as they are butchered trimmed. I assumed this is normal as the animals there from are about ten months old. I have seen some very large ones for sale but they atr about ten to twelve lbs. as mine maybe are four to five. Good size for the smoker or slow cooker.       Thanks Piker

Habanero Smoker

It's hard to tell the way it is cut up. I do see some sections of a fat vein The vein separates the flat from the point. To separate the two pieces you just follow the vein as you cut, but as you mentioned there seems to be little meat on each piece once you separate them..

The below link shows what a whole brisket (packer) looks like.

Virtual Brisket

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RoguePiper

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Very disappointed with this cut.  I cooked it and it came out OK, but not like the previous brisket I did.  No significant meat in the cut, lots of fat that rendered out.

rexster

What's a chicken breast have to do with beef brisket? Odd post for a first timer
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

_Bear_

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

TMB

Quote from: rexster on June 21, 2019, 05:38:15 AM
What's a chicken breast have to do with beef brisket? Odd post for a first timer
Smoking something other than chicken?? ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!