Bacon Question

Started by DADAKOTA, December 13, 2017, 11:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DADAKOTA

Cured some belly and put it into the smoker at 120-140 for 3-4 hours.  Trying to get it to 150 IT.  Popped it into the oven at 160 and I still haven't reached IT after 2 hours.  Noticing a little fat rendering.  How high an oven temp do you recommend to get this bacon to the 150 IT?  I really don't want to cook it.  Since I'm going to fry the bacon (like you would store bought) before eating do I need to get it to 150 IT?

Habanero Smoker

The new USDA safe temperature for pork is now 145°F. So you can pull it out of the oven when it hit 145°F. I only bring my bacon up to an internal temperature of 140°F. If you are always going to fry the bacon, you can leave it uncooked, or bring it up to 132°F.

Most kitchen ovens will not hold at 160°F, and the actual oven temperature is probably higher. The first link below is ThermoWorks video on How to Calibrate Your Oven. The second is a link to their blog. This will give you a better idea of the actual oven temperature and it's swings.

How to Calibrate Your Oven -Video

How to Calibrate Your Oven - Blog

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DADAKOTA

Thaks for the reply.  I was concerned as I was getting a little rendering going on.  I'll check out your links.  If I am always frying it I can pull it after the smoke phase regardless of temp?

Habanero Smoker

Yes! There are many that only cold smoke their bacon. Cold smoking will only bring the internal temperature of the bacon to less that 90°F.

If I'm making a sweet bacon (one that is cured with a lot of sweeteners; such as brown sugar, maple sugar, honey etc.), I will hot smoke it until it reaches an IT of 140°F - 145°F. The reason for this is I find that theses types of bacon burn too easily when frying - even when I'm using a low flame. If it is already fully cooked, you only have to cook the bacon for a short time, until it reaches your desired crispness.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CoreyMac

X2 on cold smoking bacon. I cure mine and cold smoke for 3 hrs. Just have to fry it before eating. Actually its an easier method than cooking it in your smoker IMHO.

Corey

DADAKOTA