Kirkland Master Carve Boneless Ham

Started by zueth, December 21, 2017, 03:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I have 2 - 5lb hams from Costco and want to cook them in Bradley to free space in oven for sides. I will be cooking at 230 in Bradley how long should I expect them to take? 1 hr a pound? I think I will apply smoke for the first 2 hours of cook. Should I glaze will cooking or just glaze at end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salmonsmoker

The hams are fully cooked already so all you need to do is warm them up.  200 degrees to warm up is plenty as is a couple hrs. of smoke, which is probably about enough time to get them up to temperature. They're not that thick to take a long time to heat through. Those hams are already nice and the smoke makes them even better.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

zueth

Okay so close to 30 minutes a pound ?

Habanero Smoker

I've cooked a few spiral hams in the Bradley. About 30 minutes per pound will be about right; if smoke/roasting at 230°F, and you have a quick temperature recovery and can maintain that temperature. It is best to go by internal temperature. You need to reheat the hams to 140°F, though I've seen some sources state 120°F.

The first one I did dried out too much for me. After that I used butcher's twine to tie the ham so the slices were tight together. Tying the ham, keeps the slices more moist. If you finish early, ham taste just as good at room temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

Thank you

Gafala

This is what I use to tie up my hams,   7" Dia. Red Diamond Pattern Net-All Netting. works great, can be used on chickens and etc.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

zueth

This is what they look like, definitely doesn't need to be tied together.

Curious on thoughts on glaze. Thinking glaze to start and then glaze after pull.

Habanero Smoker

My mistake. I thought you had a spiral cut ham. I have a Costco membership, and the spiral hams were on sale - so when I read your post I was just picturing a spiral cut. :)

A glaze at the beginning would be good. The second glaze (finishing glaze) I would finish off in the oven. If using soon after removing from the Bradley, I line a sheet pan with foil, brush the ham liberally with the glaze, and place in a 450°F oven, until the glaze caramelizes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

zueth

Thanks. Still cook till 140 in smoker or pull before that because it will go in oven to
Finish glaze? 30 minutes rest after pull from oven?

Habanero Smoker

The time the ham is in the oven at 450°F, you may not get any internal rise in the temperature. You need to monitor the ham closely at this point. It can burn easily. The goal is only to caramelize the glaze. Depending on your oven, it may take 10 - 15 minutes. I rest my hams for 30 minutes, though there is another thought that you are not cooking the ham you are just reheating and therefore no resting is necessary.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

zueth

Thank you.

zueth

Thanks for the help. Ham turned out really good, I did a glaze of brown sugar and honey.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.