Hot smoking Oysters

Started by SmokinMoe, December 24, 2017, 02:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Has anyone tried this?  Shellfish make me nervous but it sounds like they could be really good.  I would not even begin to know how to do this, so If you have tried it, any tips? 
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

TedEbear

There are many threads about smoking oysters if you do a search for "oysters".  Here's a link to one of them:  Smoked Oysters in Half Shell

Habanero Smoker

I had forgotten how to search the site using google. A member posted this some time ago, and I stumbled upon it a few days ago. It is much more effective than using the search features on this board. Just type the subject you are looking for using the below phrase in google search

subject site:forum.bradleysmoker.com

For example:
smoking oysters site:forum.bradleysmoker.com

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

paulopadrao

Hello
I've had smoked oysters several times. I like to make them simple. open the oyster keeping its water, and place in a tray with salt to keep the oysters right, like a bed of salt. 15 to 20 minutes with smoke and is served with pepper, or a filet of lime and pepper and finely chopped chives. The wood use oak or cherry.
I hope it helps

paulopadrao

Hi. I did not mention that I do not smoke oysters. I've never tried cooking with temperature.

SmokinMoe

I did a search but the ones I saw were on recipes they tried but they said they would not use it again.  RE:smoked oysters in te half shell by waycoolcat.  Wanting something more updated. 

SmokinMoe

Thanks for posting what you do, paulopadrao.  Sounds simple and was wondering about the type of puck to use.  We are getting a bushel, so will post what the consensus is.  Thanks!!!!!

TedEbear

There are 57 threads on the forum about smoking oysters if you use the search method that Habanero Smoker suggested. 

Here's a link to the complete list:  Smoked Oysters

SmokinMoe

Every thread, in some form, is a variation of questions that have been asked in the past.  I searched, I did not like the recipes I saw, so I came and asked the question again. I have been a member since 2004, and most people are very helpful, even if the question has been asked.  No need to beat a dead horse, TedEbear, you could have moved on.  If someone else wants to continue this discussion with me, just ignore it. 

watchdog56

SmokinMoe

Orion

I used to smoke oysters fresh off the beach when I lived near the ocean. Never had a single problem with any food related sickness. I just used my favourite smoked salmon brine and soaked the oysters for 24 hours in the fridge. The salt content of the brine won't allow anything to grow. Then into a hot smoke until I felt they were ready. Of course you want the temperature of product past the safe point for shellfish  and held for say 20 minutes. I always tended to overcook them as I prefer them a bit drier and chewy as opposed to soft and mushy. I always used the small ones for smoking and they were delicious.

As long as everything is clean, refrigerated before and after smoke, brought up to temp and handled properly you will be fine. Salt is your friend here. 
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Gafala

Who's for Oyster Stew? I like it on cold days like we have been having.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

If it is the same as oyster soup - made with cream or milk and diced potatoes; I love it. But you need to have the oyster crackers with it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokinMoe

Oyster crackers are the best!