Digital smoke generator side not working, but oven side works!

Started by johnssm, December 30, 2017, 01:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnssm

I have the Bradley digital smoker, 6 rack version (BTDS108P). I recently used the smoker with some whole chickens. I set it up, turned it on, and then went about my daily schedule. I returned a couple hours later to check on the unit and it was cold. The smoker had quit working. Both the smoker side and the oven side had turned off. I tried to restart the smoker, but it immediately shut off. This smoker has used the same power outlet for 3-4 years. It has not been moved, or been subject to moisture/rain, etc. To troubleshoot the problem, I disconnected the digital smoke generator (DSG) and plugged external power directly into the smoker box. I had no problem reaching temperatures of 275 F or so.
I removed the digital smoker generator from the smoker box. I cleaned up the unit. I used pressurized air to blow out the digital smoke generator completely.
I reinstalled the DSG to the smoker box and attempted to operate the smoker. I turned on the oven side of the Bradley and it worked as normal. But once I pushed the button to start the smoker side of the DSG, it immediately shut down the DSG. Please help me troubleshoot what the problem is. I think my only recourse is to replace the complete digital smoke generator, or find the faulty part, or just scrape this whole smoker. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I hope I posted this correctly. Thank you.

Habanero Smoker

Hi johnssm;

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what is causing the problem. When you stated you clean the unit, and used a pressurized air to blow out the generator; did you remove the cover. If you didn't remove the cover of the generator to clean it thoroughly, there may be smoke residue and debris that can be causing two wires to make contact, that are not suppose to. Or you could have a loose wire some where.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

johnssm

I'll check for smoke residue, loose wires, etc. inside the unit and report back. Thanks for the tip. I'm at a loss to understand why it quit working while in the middle of a job.
Thanks,
johnssm

Habanero Smoker

During a cook is almost every time my Bradley had developed a problem. I can only recall one time it failed to start at the beginning of the cook. But no matter when it breaks down; it's a pain in the shorts.

While you have it open, check the circuit board. There have been recent reports that some circuit boards are showing damage, looking such as a broken car windshield.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

johnssm

Well, after opening the case of the digital smoke generator, the problem presented itself. I had a family of gecko's take up residence for the winter. One poor subject got caught up in the wood puck mechanism, and prevented the mechanism from pushing a puck forward. That, I assume, caused the DSG to shut off. :o

I'll post after all is cleaned out.  :'(

Habanero Smoker

That is definitely a story you must share with the Bradley main office. ;D ;D ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.