Puck on fire inside the Bradley

Started by SmokinMoe, January 11, 2018, 10:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

I am very good about making sure the area where the pucks move onto the burner and the burner is clean and clear of anything that would keep a puck from moving forward to the bowl, so not sure why this happened. The v tray was put in the right way and I have plenty of weight (bubba pucks) with an extra puck to make the last one moves onto the burner.
I went to check the bradley, for some reason, and when I opened the door, and bent down to check out the bottom, I noticed the puck on fire.  FULL flames.  Since it was on the plastic portion of the burner unit, I unplugged it, pulled the v-tray out and took a stick and pushed the puck into the water bowl. 
I was smoking a boston butt, which I have done countless times, so there was nothing blocking the v-tray.  The grease hole and the vents were open.
For some reason, the puck did not move onto the metal portion but the puck on the medal portion was in the bowl. 
Anyway, not sure why it did it. Not sure why I decided to check it, and I have had this smoker since 2004.  Not a newbie, for sure. 
Just wanted people to be aware that you really need to make sure your smokers are not in your garage or near enough to a structure that if it did catch on fire, it would not burn your house or other structure down.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

Roget

Just curious. What is the plastic portion you are referring to?
YCDBSOYA

Toker

Did you put a pan or a bowl above the v-tray and just below the the meat to catch the dripping? If not, the fat could have dripped on the pucks.

SmokinMoe

I have Never put a pan above the v-tray during a smoke.  Been smoking in this bradley since 2004.  Never had this problem before. It was a single boston butt centered on the tray, so not a ton of meat and the fat cap was less than 1/4 inch thick, much to my dismay.  The v-tray is designed to catch and put the fat into the water bowl. 

The plastic thing I mentioned, is not plastic. My mistake. It has a lot of smoke on it, so I just assumed it was plastic.    I am going to take the smoke thing off the cabinet and give it a good cleaning.  As I said, first time I have ever experienced it. 
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"