Temp setting compared to my therm pro

Started by smitty, January 18, 2018, 08:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitty

Hello Folks I am new here and have been smoking for a while now I bought a BDS last summer and it has been awesome. My one problem that I am having right now is that I am seeing a huge difference in temp from the digital control box to what my Therm Pro is showing. it is about 60 degrees off. I went and bought a cheap remote temp sensor as well and that is agreeing with my ttherm pro so I am pretty confident that the temp sensor in the smoker is not reading correctly. I have to set my temp on the BDS to 120 and it gets up to between 170 and 190 and in some cases will push over 200. when I smoke my salmon I like to do it low and slow gradually increasing the temp over a couple hours. but this is impossible with the inaccuracy of the unit.  Am I missing something here or do I have a faulty unit? I hate to have ti buy a new unit when I have had this for less than a year.

zueth

There deffintely will be a difference, but that sounds like too large of a difference.  Where do you have your sensor placed, that could be the problem?

Habanero Smoker

Also in the digital, there will be fluctuations in temperature. The fluctuations you describe, seem average for the digital. To better control the temperature fluctuations at lower temperatures, do a search for "cold smoker setup". This detaches your generator from the cabinet, so the bisquette burner is less likely to cause you to over shoot your set temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smitty

so the temperature sensor is located in the back top left where bradley puts it. I was maybe thinking that the sensor could be faulty, when I put my therm pro probes in I place them around the second rack area to get a read from there and then I have a cheap one that I put about mid cabinet and they seem to be reading about the same give or take a few degrees nothing that would be out of the normal if it is above the foods. Maybe the cold smoke attachment is a route to try and see if it is any better. I didn't think to just try and see if the "oven" without the smoke generator on would be closer I think I will try that today just to see.

thank you for the replies guys! happy smoking to you!

zueth

I do a TON of smoked salmon in my Bradley and have never needed to use the cold smoke adaptor, but I bet it would work.

I just put my Maverick ET-732 smoker temp probe in cabinet and use that to determine what temp I have oven set to.

I typically start at 120 and work my way up to 160 to finish

Toker

If you really need real temperature then, buy a pid. That's the only way to fix your problem.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

mybad

Quote from: Toker on January 19, 2018, 12:32:38 PM
If you really need real temperature then, buy a pid. That's the only way to fix your problem.

I owned my Bradley for a number of years, before purchasing a dual probe PID from Aubers.

I don't know why I waited so long! It is worth it's money in gold.

Toker

Mybad, wait until you buy the new WiFi, you will ask it one more time  😁

mybad

Quote from: Toker on January 19, 2018, 05:20:38 PM
Mybad, wait until you buy the new WiFi, you will ask it one more time  😁

LOL thank you!