Tuffff Casings!

Started by Johnny, January 28, 2018, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

Hey, question for those who may have run into this before, I did some thin sausage in collagen casings yesterday and the casings turned out like rubber. I'm thinking it was because of the long slow cook at low temps. Only 2 hours of smoke (so that can't be it) I did 2 hours at 130f. Bumped up every so often to 160f.. probably in for 10 hours or so.

TwistedSanity

Did you drop them in water after too stop the cooking process.  I ran 30 lbs of snacks ticks the weekend, batch one was dropped in water and batches 2-3 was not.  The ones dropped in water had an noticeable softer casing than those that were not.

I know snack sticks are different then sausages but my run times program is start at 130, bump 10 degrees every hour until at 180, hold at 180 until Internal temps are 153.

Mine have about a 6.5-7.5 run time depending on their placement in the smoker.

CoreyMac

Not an expert on snack sticks but 10 hrs seems a bit long? I do 10 lbs of kielbasa and its done in 5.5 to 6.hrs  :o

Corey

TwistedSanity

Johnny, Can you clarify what size casings were you using.

Johnny

Quote from: TwistedSanity on January 29, 2018, 11:28:02 AM
Did you drop them in water after too stop the cooking process.  I ran 30 lbs of snacks ticks the weekend, batch one was dropped in water and batches 2-3 was not.  The ones dropped in water had an noticeable softer casing than those that were not.

I know snack sticks are different then sausages but my run times program is start at 130, bump 10 degrees every hour until at 180, hold at 180 until Internal temps are 153.

Mine have about a 6.5-7.5 run time depending on their placement in the smoker.
Yes I always drop them in ice water

Johnny

Quote from: CoreyMac on January 29, 2018, 01:55:27 PM
Not an expert on snack sticks but 10 hrs seems a bit long? I do 10 lbs of kielbasa and its done in 5.5 to 6.hrs  :o

Corey
Corey it took that amount of time because I only brought my temps up to 160F. Been doing it this way for years!

Johnny